Is Blender 3 worth the pain?

Hi.
I’m on win7. For running B3, i need to install win10, i need to change some of my hardware, waste time for reinstalling all my apps and for making all things work fluently…

For my needs, win7 is just perfect for everything and works like a charm. As i’d be forced to change this for using blender 3, i’m wondering wether it is worth the time, pain and money considering that the only thing i need is a functionnal alpha texture baking.

2.92,works fine for my needs and the only thing that do not work is alpha texture baking.
Lemme explain with 2 pictures:

Here render is okay with alpha textures.

Here baking the plant do not handle alpha ( as you can see the black parts around flowers and leaves ).

Does Blender 3 handles this properly ? Or is still a ‘feature’ of blender ?

Thanks for your answers.

Happy blending !

You don’t need to change to 3.XX, Alpha will bake in 2.8++ just fine…Watch this…

1 Like

no.
This shows baking of simple leaves.
But if you bat to bake the whole plant to an impostor, this won’t work^^

The only workaround is to render to a camera with transp background and then get the rendered image to set it up ( with the proper scale ) in the texture…

BTW, i borrowed my neighboor win10 laptop and gave a try to B3 portable.
The result is slightly better as the black part of the leaves and flowers are now transparent. But cycles stills write to Zbuffer for those transparent pixels and therefore fux up the result with unexpected holes…

1 Like

you are right.
so the albedo texture already has an alpha channel but when it is baked the alpha channel disappears and turns black.
maybe the only way is by editing in photoshop.

1 Like

Hi there,

I am not sure what the problem might be. Blender should bake the same way I guess, not much new in that. If the baked image has alpha channel included, and you set the Opacity the alpha blende, and also plug the alpha in the shader editor, then all black should be simply transparent.

Are you sure you have all the above? :blush:

1 Like

Windows 7 is no longer supported, receives no security updates and it slowly becomes a security risk, you sure you want all your data on a system like this…?
I would say do it if its just an PC for surfing the internet and doing some unimportant stuff, but your workstation where you do your work on…
nah you better consider upgrading for this reason alone.
It takes 30 minutes to install Win 10.
At least buy a cheap SSD and install an Win 10 in addition to your old one…or a Linux.
I’d advice strongly against staying exclusively on Win7.

All of this is independently from your question but in regards to your question: yes it is worth it and every day you wait it becomes slowly more worth it…

3 Likes

@jhon_don & @AgentTuron

Please look at this post :slight_smile:
It explains all the problem in 2.92.

I was just wondering wether this problem still exists in 3.0 :wink:

Replying to myself…

I saw blender 2.93 ( wich works fine on win7 with a small teak ) is an LTS version that is supported till 2023.

Does this mean bugs on this version will be tracked & solved till 2023 ?

EDIT:
the only solution i found for what i need is render, save and grab the results to my texture with gimp…
Amazing !

Yes, LTS are regularly updated with bugfixes, when they see a bugfix in current master that can be backported to older LTS version they try to put it in.
LTS are mostly for studios that need to work with the same blender version for years because of the length of the project.
This can be a good option for you if you need to stick to a particular release.

2 Likes

I’ve been running Blender 3.0 on Windows 7 for about a month.

I’ve had a couple of addons not working properly, but can’t say if it’s because of the Win7 hack or, a Blender 3.0 thing. There’s also an issue with volume showing up wrong in passes, but correct in beauty render. I think that’s a Blender 3 thing but haven’t been able to find anything about it.

Beside that, I’d say the hack has been running really well and would recommend you to try it: https://bestofcpp.com/repo/nalexandru-BlenderCompat

1 Like

hi @r4ptor :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answer :smiley:

I found this hack.
It follows the 2.93 hack that offers a dll for running blender. This one works perfectly with no bugs/limits.

But the new hack asks to recompile blender if i’m not mistaken… ?
I’m really not enjoyed at setting up all the workflow for compiling blender :-/
But maybe i’m wrong ?
please just tell me :wink:

Happy blending !

EDIT: oh no i’m wrong !
Alexandru offers a binary to download !
I give this a try right away !

And i have to say it’s a real shame for blender dev team to disregard the win7 hobbyists & pros community… I guess money burns their minds^^

EDIT2: WOW :star_struck: it works as is !
I’ll find a way to support this work and stop funding blender community ( as they don’t work anymore work win7 users^^ )
Thanks a big big bunch @r4ptor !!!

@Romanji : beware ! never run this exe ! It’s is full of viruses, worms and trojan and will send all your data to void ! It’s absolutely unsecure and i think you should warn µ$oft and Davos world forum about this extremely dangerous threat on the web^^ Hm this remark is off topic, just like your post :wink: But thanks tho for trying :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy blending to all !

EDIT3: anyway, blender 3 alpha texture baking on win7 works just like it does on win 10.
The black ( normally transparent ) parts of the object-to-bake textures are replaced by transparent Z-Buffer writes ( that indeed still f*ck-up the result ).
The problem has not been totally solved in B3, so i guess it’s a ‘forget about it’ in 2.93…
So for my ( simple ) needs, B3 is useless to me and i’ll go on usin my cameras for baking. :rofl:

Happy blending !

1 Like

Or you could just use https://www.simplygon.com/

It has a great vegetation impostor baking system, there is a free version, and blender addon. Check it out!

1 Like

Happy to help, but a shame alpha texture baking didn’t work out for you in 3.0

1 Like

This tool looks nice :smiley:

Thanks @sergioValente i’ll give it a try !

Happy blending !