Is Creating a Hair Card Directional/Flow Map Necessary?

Hi,

I’m currently creating hair cards for my character and from what I’ve researched, it seems that I need to create the following hair cards for everything to look good:

(1 Diffuse/Albedo map

(2 Specular Map

(3 Normal Map

(4 Direction/Flow Map

(5 Opacity Map

(6 Ambient Occlusion

I understand how to create all the following in Blender and in Gimp (I want to stick to open source software for everything I create for my character) except for the direction/flow map. I read on other forums that creating a flow map may not be necessary if the UV’s are all unwrapped and flowing in the same direction, is that correct? I’m planning on using Unity eventually and Unity has a Master hair shader I may be able to use and on their website, it has a hair strand direction section.

I started trying to create a directional map in Blender using this node setup but I’m not sure how to get the direction/flow colors correct (From the roots to the tip of the hair). Do I even need to create directional maps for my hair cards, and if I do, how can I create this using Blender or possibly another open-source program? Thanks in advance.

same problem here.

1 Like

I actually decided to not create the hair cards and I just used the blender hair particle system instead. I then exported the hair as an alembic file (.abc) which works in both unity and unreal. No need to mess around with uv’s, baking, or any flow map. Everything just works. I think this is the way to go

1 Like