Is Eevee's slowness in UPBGE going to be fixed?

Currently, Eevee runs a bit choppily (14-17fps) on even very powerful hardware like the newer M1 Macs. This has led me to the question of if this will eventually be fixed, because nobody likes slowness in their games.

Also, when I try to use a native ARM64 version of UPBGE 0.3, it will just say that it is “damaged” and cannot be opened, and should be moved to the Bin. This has forced me to use an x86 version to counteract this. My M1 iMac comes with the latest specs and all, so ARM versions of UPBGE starting with 0.3 and up should be compatible.

I wonder if Rosetta is also another reason why I am experiencing slow performance - it is emulation of x86 to ARM, and no emulation is perfect, though some have said that Rosetta may do things better than their native counterparts…

This is weird…

I am using a 2022 M1 iMac with an x86 version of UPBGE 0.3 running through Rosetta. UPBGE uses around 1.70GB of RAM, but my computer has 16GB max of RAM, the highest Macs have these days. I suspect the Eevee engine is using this RAM to do so…

EDIT: My iMac also supports Metal.

1 Like

The ARM64 “damaged” issue is due to lack of app notarization. You can fix it this way:

I will put a note in the web page at download arm builds.

Regarding to slow eevee, there are several parts that are still slow as armature deform or dynamic children parent to armature or several lights. We are working to fix them although we don’t know when they will fix or mitigate.

1 Like

Apple m1 Mac is not using metal yet,

There are patches for it in the works right now,

Go to devtalk and search metal viewport

Hi, I’ve been using UPBGE for a long time, I can help you with this question I’m also on mac m1.

It turns out that the 3.0 engine is still under development and is far from viable. the problem is not in the emulation, because the M1 runs games like Metro exodus through rosseta in Medium in HD, so the problem is in the engine itself, when I used it on windows there were still problems like this, if you avoid it at all costs the heavy shaders you get acceptable FPS but then there’s no reason to use 3.0 right… since its difference is precisely in the shaders… as for development, everything will depend on the Blender foundation to make EEVEE something viable in real time to the point of making games with it, it is currently only possible to develop complete games with good frame rates in the 2.5b engine, and the compatibility with the m1 via rosseta is perfect… you will only have problems if you try to export your game to Mac, but that’s another discussion… it’s working perfectly for games exported to windows.

The 2.5 is a little outdated in terms of graphics, you will get shaders similar to 2015 titles, but as they are indie games I don’t see a problem, I particularly prefer this engine because it is very fast and light, in game jams it’s almost cheat using UPBGE haha