Is it possible to have multiple smoke domains in a scene? I get weird render results

Hi. Does anyone know if its possible to render a smoke sim with multiple domains? Where the domains overlap with each other the smoke (or fire in this case) doesn’t render. It’s as if the renderer can’t see past 1 domain at a time.

Here I have a scene with 3 smoke flow emitter objects, and 3 smoke domains. I emitter per domain. Wherever the domains overlap each other the fire doesn’t render. They all have unique materials and textures. I have tried putting each emitter/domain in its own layer, but that doesn’t work. I have limited the flow group for each domain to its own specific emitter, nothing.

Everything looks fine here:

And the render:

Wherever the domains overlap there’s nothing.

Here’s the scene with no smoke cache:

And the .blend file

Is this even possible to do at this point? The main reason I want to do this is so I can stagger start times of multiple emitters, and have them shoot off in different directions. I can’t see a way to do that just using 1 domain for all of the emitters. I guess I could use particle emitters, that may be my only choice.

Thanks for looking.

Forgot to attach the .blend file.

Fire_Domain Test_A_09.blend (729 KB)

It won’t work because of the way depth is calculated in each domain. Render separately and composite them together in post, that’s the way it’s done in commercial packages as well.

Right on. Time to roll up my sleeves and dig further into compositing.

Thanks for the reply.

Thankfully with fire it’s not too difficult to get a good result. Just save as a PNG sequence with alpha. Then put lights where the center of the flame is in the background scene. To composite, just use an Alpha Over node with the flame images and multiply the smoke shadows and you should be good to go.

Ill give that a try. Thanks for your help.