Is it possible to make a coin pile using geometry-nodes

Hey there! I have practicing blender for months until I reached a good level in blender modeling :grin:, but sometimes I need support especially in the geometry nodes due to my few skills in using the geo nodes. I have made this chest and tried to make a coin pile using the particle system but it seems to be unperfect, so I tried searching on YouTube, but almost all the results showed that I should duplicate the coin and make a pile, then add a rigid body and start the animation for them to be collected in the box, but this seemed hard. So my question is, can there be any way to make a coin pile using geometry nodes instead of the rigid body method :question::question:

Here is my chest:

Thank you :heart:

1 Like

You can make a mound of coins in geometry nodes, but there will be a lot of intersecting collisions.

Rigid body sims are the best way to do this, and it’s a good skill to learn.

4 Likes

I can offer a fairly simple scheme for avoiding intersections of instances. It’s not perfect, but it’s fine for “fast” or not too close render angles.
Coin instances are arranged according to a ready or generated mesh. The calculation of the distribution density depends on the dimensions of the coin. In this case, the calculation of the height is excluded.
Next, we simply duplicate the grid with instances and raise the thickness of the coins and change the seed in order to diversify the effect. Also on the top layer, you can enable a small random rotation of the coins.

4 Likes

I used a physics simulation to make a pile of checkers.

Can you please state your current blender version because I can’t find the distribute node, keep in mind that I am not good at geo nodes. Also, I am using blender 3.1

This is a group of nodes that can be made with the ctrl+G key combination. I made it for convenience. My third image includes all the nodes in this group. You can do without it, it’s just not so convenient (visually) and you will need to copy all this noodles, for a sequential shift along the Z axis (the direction of the axes, by the way,
recalculated for each coin based on the mesh shape normals for the instance). You can redo it a bit and create an additional instance to copy the entire layer (Array modifier algorithm), but, as always, the quality of thought improves after implementation))

1 Like

Can you please send the blender file so I can see how to make it accurately, because it seems that I have problems in collecting and applying data… sorry for disturbing you

Sure & I don’t feel any anxiety =)
Coins.blend (1.1 MB)

1 Like

I can ungroup node Distribute if that helps you understand the concept faster. You need it?

Well the model is fine with me but sure ungroup it so I can understand the idea :slight_smile:

Good luck =)
Coins.blend (1.1 MB)

Uhh… Well this is much harder for me than the last one, but thanks anyways :grin::+1:

1 Like