Is it possible to nest GN objects with inputs?

So I have an object that uses GN to place a number objects in a row, and I use the Object Info node to bring in the objects. Then I tried to plug in an object that uses GN to generate a column based on two inputs (height and width), hoping to be able to place a variety of columns. But there doesn’t seem to be any way to access the inputs for the column object within the row object. Am I just not finding it? Is there a workaround?

Cheers.

Some screen to better describe the issue would be helpful. Ideally showing crucial node parts and small viewport preview.

One method for accessing attributes from another object is to store a named attribute on the object. Either through the node or by plugging it into the output node and name it in the modifier under outputs.

Then the attribute can be accessed inside the node-tree of the second object via the get named attribute node. Or again through naming it in the modifier this time under inputs.

Here an example using the nodes (Because i found it more obvious than through the modifier):

1 Like

I think I made the question unnecessarily complicated. Sorry about that. Here’s some pseudo code that hopefully makes it clear what I was trying to do.

GN_Column.blend
GenerateColumn(height, width) {
*generate column*
return geometry;
}
GN_Building.blend
import GN_Column.blend;

PlaceInstanceOfGeometry(GenerateColumn(500,50), position_a);
PlaceInstanceOfGeometry(GenerateColumn(400,75), position_b);

Turns out that all objects are available as separate named nodes, I thought they had to be imported via a special node like Object Info. Yes, I dun goofed. Ignore me. Or have a good laugh at my expense.

Cheers.

Ok … as i understand you now you wanted to instantiate an object generated from a nodegroup. And found a way on your own to do something like this:

And Maybe if you wanted to place many columns with different parameters you realized already that you have to bring in another node-group for each variant. And need to edit the parameters manually.

That is sadly a bit limited at the moment in Geometry nodes. You can read this thread for more information about this.