Is it really this easy?

I’m sorry if I come across as condescending in this post. I know how hard professional modelers work. It is just that I have never in my life modeled any kind of character. Ever. I’ve done plenty of CAD drawings, but I couldn’t draw a life-like face on a piece of paper if you held a gun to my head.

Anyway, I found a tutorial here on modeling a head and have used it to partially create a rather realistic looking head (not shown here). I need a human skull for a game I’m working on and thought I’d try the same technique.

This is what I have so far, after about 30 minutes. :eek:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/mspeir/th_Skull.jpg

This is very simple. It feels almost too easy, as if I’m cheating or something. I’m not saying that my model is perfect, far from it, but I can see a skull coming out and it doesn’t look cartoonish. Have I been fooling myself for years about the difficulty of character modeling? Is it really this easy?:confused:

You probably already know this, but just to be sure, it will work better if you can model the jaw separately from the maxilla and the rest of the skull - it looks good so far, that’s just something to keep in mind.

good job to finally getting around to character modelling
I guess it really is “that easy” - my guess is that your skills have incremented since you last tried character modelling :slight_smile:
That’s just a guess though :slight_smile:

I agree, but it was a pain in the butt to find that reference image.

Thanks.

Now try a high poly, high detail super trooper with plate armor/bio armor hybrid. Make sure your edge flow is perfect so that it animates and deforms perfectly. Then come tell us how easy it is.

Also modeling is probably less than 1/5th of the entire CG pipeline. One character is probably 1/8th of the modeling that needs to be completed for a small CG production. The head is probably about 1/4th of the entire character. You modeled like 1/3rd of a skull.

Therefore, if my math skills serve me right you’ve completed about 1/500th of the work necessary for a small CG production. How long did you think it was gonna take? :smiley:

:smiley:

I’m not oblivious to that. I’m really just surprised that I’m able to do anything at all. I guess finding a technique that works is important. This is going to take me many months with many revisions to get correct, but just a week ago I wouldn’t have even guessed I could do this much.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a good hi res skull reference image, preferably with separate lower jaw?

The jaw: find the latin name and look around for images:
it’s called the mandible, so This would be a good start

Therefore, if my math skills serve me right you’ve completed about 1/500th of the work necessary for a small CG production. How long did you think it was gonna take? :smiley:
way to be a downer, OrchidFace :stuck_out_tongue:

on that note, may I suggest you try completing a little bit at a time until you are proficient in that whole 500 pt list of
things.

No, he’s just a realist like me. He’s 100% correct. No offense taken.

WAY ahead of ya!:wink:

Well, if it really took years just to create “something”, then nobody would ever get started except for a few gifted ones…
Modeling is just a technique to be learned, like basic painting skills. Anyone can do that. Some can do it faster. But the hard thing is to master it. To really know, what you’re doing, why you’re doing it and how you’re doing it. Though, I guess it’s way quicker to get started in modeling than in drawing, since I can do the first one (a bit) but not the latter.

On the other hand, as OrchidFace noted, modeling is one thing, the rest of the image is another. Modeling is one of the easier parts to do, for me at least. Once you have a good concept you can get started and create something which is really motivating - here I agree with you! The hard part is everything else…(like actually making a concept, textures, lighting, perspective…).

So, keep at it and master it!

Hey guys i’m new to blender and was wondering how do u colour meta balls by free hand? also how do u re-select a single meta ball after its been deselected ?

Hey people , i am new to blender and i was wondering how you can colour meta balls by free hand ? also how do u select a single meta ball once its been de-selected ?

Thanks , Mike360