Is my PC and Blender not optimized

Hello all,
I’m doing a tutorial right now, and I’m having a bit of lag right off. I feel even though I’m doing this on my laptop I think it has plenty under the hood. Basically all I’ve done so far is take the basic cube and added 2 subsurf mods, and the displacement mod…. And now I can’t use the arrows, or drag feature in any of the settings bars. If I put in a value manually it takes a good couple seconds to make the adjustment.
First susurf is set to 6 and 6
Second one is set to 3 and 3
Is there a possible setting I need to change that would help me out?
My specs are:
Intel Core i7-2617M 1.5GHz (2.6GHz Turbo Mode, 4MB Cache)
NVIDIA GeForce GT540 graphics with 2.0GB Video Memory (this is set to max performance)

6GB DDR3 at 1333MHz 

The tutorial:
http://www.blenderguru.com/how-to-make-a-realistic-asteroid/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BlenderGuru+(Blender+Guru)
Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Just wondering why you needed that much subsurf. That’s over 1.5 million polys, and there is really no reason to use that many on such a simple object. May I ask what you would need that much for?

After seeing the tutorial I know what you are trying to get at. If you want things to run a bit faster you can lower the view subdivision while maintaining the render subdivision at a higher level. This should clear up the openGL slow down.

Just adjusted tell the result was what I wanted. I think I have near the same as the tutorial. I might have a little more on my second subsurf than the tutorial. Would that be the main problem? or is there an adjustment in the blender settings I can make to optimize it better for my gear?

using that level of subsurf is going to be a major drain on any resources regardless of the computer, i have an i7 2600k and 16GB of memory and putting subsurf up that much has a noticable impact. There really isnt any need of having that level of subsurf, if you model the object properly you shouldnt need anywhere near that level of subsurf

I see, I’ll have to work on that. I did find that if I get the rock looking the way I like, then reduce the view amount in the subsurf it works just fine. I’m glad it’s not my machine, and that I just need to refine my skills… which being a beginner I have a lot of refining to do. Also being a beginner unfortunately I need to ask these type of questions…

Thank you for your time and information.

Duplicate post.

This worked well. Thank you… missed your edit because it doesn’t send me an e-mail update on edits… just new posts.