Is my portfolio good for finding a job?

Hi community, new here and I am curious to know if my current portfolio is good for getting a job as a 3D modeler in the industry, mostly I am interested in making models for Pixar and other Disney movies. I cannot do rigging, but I can create models and then give them to the team rigger to rig it and animate it.

Here’s the link to my portfolio: http://elphindor.wixsite.com/3d-game-designer

I would lead with the art.

For the Bio section, I would keep it minimal, referencing strengths and specializations - areas you best excel in, and omit the rest.

The Pixar eyes segment is not the skills-marketing point it would have been a decade ago, given how widely adopted and standardized that has become in the game and film industries.

Beyond that, I believe learning basic rigging is an important skill, as, even though, in the industry, others can and will often rig your models / characters, you should be aware of, and be prepared to demonstrate a working knowledge of, how topology and modeling considerations can be very closely tied to the rigging process.

Something not well developed, in terms of geometry, can require minor to major reworking, and the ability to go over these things with riggers can be important, as they are rarely going to have the time to extensively edit (e.g. retopologize) models to make them more animatable.

Your dinosaur is especially impressive! I think it’s worthy of more prominent placement / treatment in the portfolio.

As your aim appears to be modeling and texturing, I would emphasize that, along with prominent wireframes and mainly models (in and out of environments).

Some more image content would be helpful, but I’m sure that’s simply a matter of time and you’ll add more when ready.

Stay enthusiastic, be encouraged, and keep up the great work! Persistence and passion can make the difference, as can the will to offer something unique and appreciable in terms of skills and artistic qualities.

I wish you all the best with your future endeavors!

3 Likes

Hi and thank you for the information, will look into making the bio section shorter and clearer. I do have very basic rigging learned, but that’s about it. Will continue adding more models in portfolio as I create more models.

Edit: I made the Bio shorter.

Hi Sathuras,

I looked at your website and read you text and I would suggest to approach a different strategy.

Here some tips:

1. In your text you talk about not being able to afford Maya, that you are unemployed, did not go to a university. This makes you sound very negative.

Recruiters want to get excited about you. They want to read about the skills you have, the models you can make, the technology you learned.

Ok you cannot get Maya who cares - modeling is modeling. Dont even say that you use Blender just say that you know subdivision surface modeling, sculpting rendering etc because knowledge can be easily transfered.

And instead of saying what you did not do simply talk about what you did do in your 3D area.

Put emphasis on achievement not missed opportunities.

1. Regarding your work be very careful about also here what and how you show it.
    You learned how to make dinosaurs. Great this are hard animals to model. Talk about the process you used show the evolution of the model and you can also add a paragraph of text stating facts

But I think you might want to diversify you model selection so you can proof that you know how to model organic and hard edge models.

1. I M not sure if a website is needed today anymore. Maybe rather use social media core77 or other portfolio websites so you could be found better

I hope this helps a little

4 Likes

Would be good to have one page showing a decent collection of your art and contact information right there, or a link to it very visible. Decent collection of your best art, no second bests, decent size and possibility to make the images larger. Description telling briefly what each image is, mention of the parts you didn’t make, and also clear mention if something is fanart.

The bio is bad for the reasons already mentioned, but it’s not likely people will read it. It’s more likely they just want to go through the art and decide if you’re suitable for the job. Your page within dozens or hundreds of portfolios from other people.

Don’t teach. Technical details like fresnel in PBR is pretty duh. Same for how you make hair. People looking at your art will know already, and those who don’t know don’t want or need to know.

Big +1 for removing all negativity and focusing on the positives.

1 Like

Yeah this for real the most important of the self promotional story telling.

1 Like

I am gonna be harsh and it might sound mean, but it is in your best interest.

Not gonna happen. Sorry.
Not with your skill and even if you had the skill, working for Pixar or Disney is the top of the food chain. Luck and nepotism might play a large roll.
You need to be one of the best in the business, which you are not and its gonna be a long way, so i suggest you get a better (smaller) goal, one which you can actually reach.

The website as a whole looks horrible and bad designed. It is confusing, distracting, ugly and a deterrent for people who actually might want to hire you. That alone might kill the interest.
Get rid of it.
You are not a web-designer and nobody asks you to do webdesign so get an Artstation account and use that as an portfolio.

The quality of the actual work is average or subpar, which is the actual problem you have.
You need to have more and better work in your portfolio.
Johnny is your best work, you need more models like him.
I think Marvis is not as good and the topology images show why…
The rest i wouldn’t even put in the portfolio.
You are getting judged by your worst work. So eliminate everything which isn’t your best.
Which in your case doesn’t leave much left of the initially not so diverse collection. Its harsh to accept that most of what you have is not good enough, but i think you should just take Johnny and take him to Artstation and leave everything else behind.
Maybe even ditch PBR shading for now and do only pure handpainted textures. Concentrate on form and color. Also Anatomy. Do that for a while and you will see improvements.
You have potential but you need tons of practice and experience and the only way is doing.

5 Likes

Yeah I got on student into Pixar and he did not even survive there. It is a big dream many students have and don’t realize that there is a world besides Pixar.

Game of Throw dragons where not made by them.

I say this simply to relieve a little pressure and also point out that there is much more than Pixar in terms of job employment.

1 Like

I understand, well I’ll keep trying to improve, I model for fun too. I’ll look into the anatomy more then, hopefully it will help me understand modelling better, anyway thank you for the help you gave me, btw I don’t mind your harsh feedback, and I did some big changes to my website. :slight_smile:

Do you draw? Drawing anatomy is as helpful as modelling it, so it doesn’t matter which one you do, it helps.
Also watching the right tutorials.
I would recommend the following channels for you:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Pavlovich2005/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/djmccabie/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjswDVU0XHyBN7UFG0Mi5Q/videos

The first 2 use Z-brush, but i guess the fundamentals is what you’re after and these are universal.

Good luck and have fun.

PS: accidentally answered to the wrong person. Seems like i need some time to get accustomed to the new forum.

2 Likes

Hi

I ain’t good at drawing, that’s why I concentrate on modelling , thanks for the tuts, will look into them. :+1:

You’re most welcome, and the website is already looking much better!

You can also get a free portfolio at CGSociety.org (CGTalk), where you can upload images and have your own dedicated cgsociety.org URL:

http://forums.cgsociety.org

It’s also a nice little way to double-up on your exposure as an aspiring professional CG artist / asset creator.

As for Pixar, yes, they are in so many well-earned ways the industry gold standard when it comes to animated features, but there are many other options worth considering.

3D animated shorts are produced by many teams and companies beyond Pixar.

Openmindedness and flexibility are two key points contributing to success in any artistic field.

Some otheres are…
being resilient when confronted with any perceivable negativities - turning negatives into positives, setbacks into opportunities to advance
being self-respectful enough to turn any form of discouragement into more positive inspirations which only feed a drive for further excellence and artistic refinement (never anger or regret).
being resourceful enough to think and adapt beyond any one software platform (or version of that software)
playing the long game - not expecting short-term success but rather long-term achievements wrought of sincere and sustained effort.

I’m happy to be somewhat of an anomaly in this so-called industry :slight_smile:

Much of my work is meant to challenge or defy industry standards, to use 3D in ways I prefer, to be artistic, whatever that means to me at the moment, even if the end result is the last thing you’d expect to see from a “3D artist” (or a 3D program).

This independence enables me to be expressive, experimental, and adventurous in ways other CG artists are not usually at liberty to be, because they must observe and conform to the Industry’s current expectations.

What helps me is that I’m not in this for fortune or fame, simply for the love of art, for sharing ideas, and for things such as sharing positive experiences in this beautiful Blender community.

I’ve encountered quite a bit of educational criticism over the years, and the legitimate things I took the time to consider and used that as encouragement to learn more and do more, and, more importantly, to do things my way once I learned how things like lighting, rigging, etc. should be done.

After that, I’ve been in books, magazines, and I’ve earned some respect in the CG community, but I’m not at all complacent or satisfied with my work as it is. This is one reason I keep challenging myself right here in the community every week: I still want to get better, express myself more powerfully and poetically, and I still feel my best renders are ahead of me :slight_smile:

I say all this so as to give you an “insider’s” “long game” perspective of things based on actual experience and so-called achievements: there are, in fact, MANY ways to thrive and “succeed” in the CG industry, and the even more generalized Digital Art World.

It all depends on what you want to do, how far you want to go - your purpose, your passion, the poetry you’ve yet to discover and express in your work.

You have choices all the way through. You can choose to stay in this Wonderland and learn firsthand “how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

You can be amazing in your own right. And you will be, as you believe more in yourself and what you wish to do.

It’s all a choice that’s ultimately left to you :slight_smile:

Have fun, and choose wisely :wink:

1 Like

Well modeling for fun is a good personal artistic skill to demonstrate and build upon

Also as a tip try to imagine where you want to model for

Engineering
Packaging
Game design
Architecture
Science

Maybe see where companies would be and based on that focus and or diversify your model collection.

We just had a talk to General Motors who are looking for people who are passionate about modeling no matter what software etc.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for your big reply!
I’m not all about Pixar, I will be glad if I am accepted in any studio, as long as it is for animated movies or other 3D projects. But of course modelling is a big universe and a lot to learn yet, but I won’t give up, cuz of big waves coming towards me. Will look into the portfolio suggestion you gave me. Anyway I wish you all the best to you and your career! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wouldn’t focus on “getting a job” in some studio, there aren’t many jobs to go around in the first place and even then your skill level isn’t that high.

What you do need to do as an artist is get out of that whole “employee” mentality. Don’t be “unemployed without formal education”, be a “self-taught freelancer”. Try to find some clients online for illustration/visualization, your skill level is sufficient for that, especially when it comes down to price. Prepare to be rejected a lot, there’s a lot of fish in the pond.

Lastly, you don’t need a website at all, just put your stuff on Artstation and focus on your best work, don’t put your old crap on there.

2 Likes

Do not give up continues to improve and there are more and more possibilities in the field of computer graphics.

1 Like

I second this a lot. But BeerBaron I am not sure about retirement and health insurance costs and plans in his country.

As a freelancer in the US you are a lot more disadvantaged.

This could make you understand something, He do already a great works but continue to improve his skill every day.

I am currently on my 12th round of everydays. This year I’ll be doing a render everyday…

1 Like

Honestly, your topology needs a little work but it is passable enough for the moment but your texture work on that dino is quite good, but I would suggest getting those into game engines to display how they look there, or I would suggest getting them into animations or at the very least build scenes with them.

At the end of the day you need to showcase what your deliverable is. I can go to art station and find ten thousand models in T pose, but I can find only a handful of people who have built a scene to show their model in pose (and thus exposing any weight painting defects with it) and it is the same again for those that have put theirs into a game engine to show off there.

1 Like

Unless you’re only looking for a staff, in-studio position don’t keep your focus solely on the technical details. If you’re going to be freelancing, sub-contracting, etc. then it’s important to understand the business side of things. Most technically adept people can get the work done without any limits, but those who can do so on time, on spec, and on budget are the ones who keep working.

1 Like