is povray worth the effort ?

Hi,
i, like some others, noticed the povray render option in 2.5 and i was intrigued.
I downloaded and installed povray, noticed that the exporter was incomplete and got to tinkering with the examples.
I noticed the radiosity(i.e. GI) examples were fast.
And GI is very important to my work, what is extra appealing about pov is the coarse to fine approach, giving you a quick impression about the quality of the light.
However, as most exporters are let’s say not for the general public, a lot can be said about going native and recode the better part of the file yourself using snippets.
BUT, i hate to invest in a program only to find out it is slow and / or simply not good enough.
The GI renders I see are allright, but not luxrender, if you know what i mean.

Anyway, let me know what you think, it’s much appreciated.

thx
wzzl

povray support was added mostly as an api reference and a way to learn how it worked, it could be useful for some but isnt really well tested.

povray support was added mostly as an api reference and a way to learn how it worked, it could be useful for some but isnt really well tested.

A standard suzanne + plane + lamp render now fails with this:

found bundled python: D:\Applications\BLENDE~1\1321_R~1.blender\python
Traceback (most recent call last): File “D:\Applications\BLENDE~1\1321_R~1.blender\scripts\io\engine_render_pov.py”, line 784, in render
self._export(scene)
File “D:\Applications\BLENDE~1\1321_R~1.blender\scripts\io\engine_render_pov.py”, line 739, in _export write_pov(self._temp_file_in, scene, info_callback)
File “D:\Applications\BLENDE~1\1321_R~1.blender\scripts\io\engine_render_pov.py”, line 594, in write_pov
exportLamps([l for l in sel if l.type == ‘LAMP’])
File “D:\Applications\BLENDE~1\1321_R~1.blender\scripts\io\engine_render_pov.
py”, line 160, in exportLamps
color = tuple([c * lamp.energy for c in lamp.color]) # Colour is modified by
energy
File “D:\Applications\BLENDE~1\1321_R~1.blender\scripts\io\engine_render_pov.py”, line 160, in <listcomp>
color = tuple([c * lamp.energy for c in lamp.color]) # Colour is modified by energy
AttributeError: ‘PointLamp’ object has no attribute ‘energy’

So I tried to add a custom property called “energy” to the lamp to no avail.