Is there a Rule of Thumb when it comes to sizing worlds.

I mean, I used to do some level editing in WorldCraft, and basically, The rule of thumb was the average human was between a certain measurement. Can you make your worlds to small or to big in Blender? Is there a rule of thumb to go by? Just wondering? If you have characters is there a a correct sizing method, or does it just not matter?

NDNChief…

what i use is 1 blender unit = 2 ft, when i use this the “3d sound” works right at a scale of about .5

Physics seem to work better at a slightly smaller scale… so if you make an ordinary cube… size 1 and then resize it’s vertices at a sub object level to say .4 you have very decent scale… however scaling object at object level, instead of sub object, can have strange effects on track-to’s, animations and other things

Carl

yes,… actually the smaller the scale, the better

its harder to work with in such small units but i think that the collision sensor works MUCH better and objects dont need to move as fast cuz its so small

Yeah, keep it as small as possible - things dont need to move so fast to look fast, physics dont need to be overpowered, collision detection works better.

But editing it at a small level is pretty hard. I usually edit my characters at about 4 units tall, and then scale them down afterwards.

well. It’s simple. Make you character and give it some dynamic settings so it can move on a plane. Then position it above and watch it fall. Make the character (in edit mode) smaller and smaller until they appear to fall at a “Real” speed. This usually ends up with the character being less than a blender unit tall (and that’s with say 20 gravity)

-Luke

After all this time, would you believe I’ve never known you could rescale the camera? LOL

Ok, answer’d my own question… LOL

Ingie

Thank you all for your replies, It makes me feel more confident in starting a big project, knowing the scale will be OK…

Thanks Again…

The NDN…

The other good thing about keeping scale small that hasn’t been mentioned, is how much easier it makes overall level editing. With HUGE levels, it can be hard to navigate around them in the editor, but small scales can make moving through the world much faster.

I believe the idea is that your total world fits the Blender grid which is 32x32 units.

(view the grid if you’re in ortho mode, looking to the grid from an angle)

so,does it means that with a small scale world,the games will run faster too?