Is there a "To-rectangle" transform like the "To-Sphere" transform?

I’m trying to create an electric socket and that comes with the challenge of transitioning my mesh from a circular cutout in the middle of the socket to a rectangular shape on the edge of the socket. I came up with a plan of how to do it using the “Bridge Edge Loops” function.

The idea is to create two circles, make one slightly bigger, fashion the bigger circle into a square with additional vertices and then connect the two using the bridge edge loops tool. I made one by hand, but I’d like to know if what I’m doing can be done more efficiently and whether or not it is possible to turn a circle into a square easily.

Here’s a few images that explain what I did. Can it be done better?

Why not start with rectangles and use Loop Tools > Circle to round the parts needed? Start with a plane that has the same # of cuts as in the 2nd image. Inset it. Select the inset loop and hit it with Circle. Delete the middle face.

1 Like

Like @Reg_Nullify mentioned that is mostly the fastest way. If you want to play with it you can use the “Cast-modifier” and vertex group which may come handy sometimes:

2 Likes

@rigoletto

note: sorry got it to work
you need to select proper shape at top of modifier

tried it with cast and cannot get the rectangle ?

can you elaborate on how to make it work ?

which verts for the group is it the outside verts ?

thanks
happy bl

Here is a quick example:
example_cast.blend (99.3 KB)

I just assigened the extruded and scaled vertex to the group.

thanks that’s a very nifty way to do it. I don’t know about most modifiers so this opens up a lot of possibilities, especially the combination with specific vertex groups.