Is there a way to add a 3D noise texture to a volume?

I’m trying to figure out a way to add 3D noise to a mesh. So far I’ve

• crated my source mesh
  • created an empty volume and added a Mesh To Volume modifier to it
  • set the Object of the Mesh To Volume modifier to by my original mesh
  • created a second mesh object and added a Mesh To Volume modifier to it, and then selected my Volume as it’s Object

So far this has been a good way to produce a mesh that is a blobbier version of my original. Now I’d like to be able to transform the volume data by adding some 3D noise to it and applying a ramp to it to control density. Is there a way to do this?

Edit: I want to use volumetrics to do this. I don’t simply want to jitter the vertices of my source mesh or add a displacement map to it.

1 Like

Add a new material to the volume empty, and it’ll provide you with a Principled Volume setup. From there, you can plug a texture into the density node to get some noise.

That looks like it worked for setting the density. Unfortunately, my final step with the Volume to Mesh modifier sampling my volume seems to be ignoring the shader I applied to my volume. Is there a way to get this to sample the shaded volume?

I converted the volume to a mesh using geometry nodes, and got this. Is this what you want to go for?

No, the trouble with that is it is using the geometry as input, not the volume. The noise texture should be carving chunks out of the model. I’ve added a ramp to make it more obvious in mine. I would like to mesh the final result, not the input geometry. Maybe there’s a way to save the volume data as an OpenVDB?

I tried a number of things, but nothing I did seems to account for the inside of the volume, only the outer shell.

This seems like something Blender should be able to do, but I just don’t quite know how to do it. I’ll goof around with it, but in the meanwhile, maybe you should throw a link to this in the big Geometry Nodes thread. See if anyone there knows a way to convert a volume to a mesh based on the thickness of the fog, rather than it’s container shape.

Good idea. Thanks for your help.

1 Like