Is there a way to animate something but record it for future actions? For example, running/walking

Is there a way to animate something like a walk or run cycle but then save it as a future action? The whole idea would be so I dont have to animate these things from scratch each time I need a character to walk, run or whatever. Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Take a look at [this].

And this:

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s what I need…thanks so much!

1 Like

Although I must say that I found it very strange that he went “barf” when referring to NLA = Non-Linear Animation, at precisely the point where I expected him to start talking about it. Instead, he started talking about “copy and paste.” He also used append instead of link.

I use NLA constantly. “Actions” involve specific, non-overlapping areas of the geometry so that they can then be “layered” in the NLA editor. No, the results might not be “hand-crafted perfect,” but you can get a lot of animation done in a hurry.

I’m fairly new to 3D animation and Blender. What is NLA? Is this some kind of program? “NLA editor”? Sorry to ask but you lost me there.