Is there a way to have light that is readable text when shining on an object?

Is there a way to have light that is readable text when shining on an object?
i want to make something like the freethink coded intro.
i tried using this solution, but either i am doing something wrong, or it does not work in EEVEE.

In Evee you need to check Color space…and set it to standard and not filmic…also use Bloom…screen space reflection your choice…Included .blend

Emissive Text.blend (1.2 MB)

is there a way to focus the screen space reflection/make the light only go one way like a laser, so the text is readable on the surface it is reflecting on?

i probably should have been more clear, but this is what i wanted to create:

(the first one is what i would like the screen space reflection to do, the second is what the screen space reflection does normally)
(note: i badly made it in GIMP)

I think that this would basically be a compositing task. The text is brightly colored so it appears to be lit, and it’s then plugged-in as the source of an image texture that is applied to the various objects. Extracting only that part (not any light contributed by the surface of the objects), the effect is then “bloomed.”

The image texture is then superimposed upon the actual objects with Alpha=1.0 so that it completely occludes the objects anywhere the letters appear.

Blender’s node-based compositing system could produce the effect.

2 Likes

Got to play with this…and @sundialsvc4 is absolutely right… it will be a compositing task…and combine several layers…especially if you plan to put objects in the scene and want the light to reflect off of them or illuminate where the letters hit…I sort of just went off the example from the video you shared and have a screen affect the big boys can just plug in there editing suite…

But in this BLEND FILE You can see in compositing if you connect from the vector curves to the composite node you can get the Lazer type effect you were talking about but it would have to be composited with the original text render.

3 Likes