Is there a way to sell my Blender Scripts Solutions?

Hello!
Is there a way to sell my blender scripts? I mean… I know that GPL let me sell things, but this license also allows someone to buy my code and upload it for free on the internet…

I do not think that’s fair. Thanks!

if you absolutely feel the need to do that…

It’s just non-prohibitive license. Don’t be afraid, people are fair :wink:

I’d be worried, if scripts shared (even for nothing - free) were found useless - worthless.
Either way you can start by researching, showing what you got which could be valuable to others… potential buyers.

A lesson from an old tale tells – “Those who hide their gold, never profit or make something valuable from just owning it.”

First you need to understand the license: Saving, selling and sharing your Blender Games!

When you understand the above, then you can put your own license to scripts/blends, this prevents people from reselling etc.(depends on the license you attach of course).

The GPL defines source code as:

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it.

Code that has been obfuscated by a tool doesn’t fall under that definition, you’d have to write obfuscated code to begin with.

Your own post seems to contradict this:

If you share or publish Python scripts – if they use the Blender API calls – have to be made available compliant to the GNU GPL as well.

That gives you no choice of license - GPL or nothing.

@UnidayStudio, if you want to publish a script and not use the GPL, you must make it independent of Blender.

I’m not worried to obfuscated code. I’d like to sell my scripts (not obfuscated). But I’d like to avoid people from putting the code for free later on. :confused:

@burnin That’s a good point.
@Cotaks you mean do not use Blender API calls in my scripts? But how can I do this?

Those who want to do this, will do it regardless of the license.

i hope you clicked the source? it’s not ‘from me’ but if you use an api call the script will be gpl no matter what.

Yes, to be the owner and to do whatever you like with it, you may not use the bge api, this can not always be avoided, as soon as you use bge.logic then your screwed license wise.

#edit
however for something this is possible, like a day simulator that i have scripted, there is no api call used, well 1 to grab scenes, but this can be simply converted into a brick, so avoiding the gpl on the script.

I do not recommend you to program scripts/plugins for Blender then if that is your concern.

On the other hand. From what I’ve seen, Blender usually does not incorporate features from commercial Addons (that’s why I pray for some good feature to appear officially in Blender first rather than in a commercial addon).
And I do not think there are many people sharing commercial addons from others out there either.
So I think you’d be relatively safe when you offer your code for sale.

Edit:
Ok, I had entered this thread from “Latest” in the forum, I did not know that it was a Game engine thread. I do not have much idea about it.