Is there an AI that can add uniqueness to a tiling texture?

I’ve got a wall that is 6m by 2m that needs a stone texture.

I’ve got a non-tiling texture that looks good but is only 1m x 1m.
… ^ I’ve got an ai-generated seamless version of this texture that looks bad.
I’ve got another tiling texture that looks good but is only 2.5m x 2.5m.

Is there an Ai where I can give it a texture and the size where the texture needs to be used and it will generate a truly uniqe non tiling texture with the same vibe as the original that fully fills the space and looks unique in all areas?

1 Like

Depending on the fashion of the stone wall it might be a good idea to look up some procedural materials or just use the “good tiling texture” and mix it with some pictures of real stone wales with similar look… not completely blending to the photo but just use it as some variation source in the masking… ?

There is a technique, where you can mix two different textures with a **Color Mixer ** node. You can use the same material and the same UVs, you only do the operation on the pixel colors.

This works well for two textures and is easy to setup, but having say multiple input sources and one output would be a bit more tricky to setup.

Another technique is based on tiling, where you have one tilemap texture, and you move the UV position around the place. You get the UV input coordinate and then transpose it with a vector multiplication (say for example UV=tilesize*index – where index is a random number that is clamped from 0…maxtiles). In this case using a UDIM texture is a good idea, because this way you can have only one Texture object that is composed of multiple png images.

Another technique as well, is based on having a procedural black texture with white noisy border, and use it this way for a final masking with a base texture, this helps as well to get rid of tiling. However it not exactly perfect for hard surfaces (like bricks) but for miniscule details like grass or dirty it might be OK.

1 Like