Is there anyone using Blender on AMD Radeon + Linux (Wayland Gnome)?

I had posted about a similar problem, but back then, I thought it was a problem of a specific file. But it seems that Blender randomly makes Gnome shell stuck at a black screen, if I move drag the scene with the middle mouse click on the render view mode. When this happens, I have to basically log out and re-log in to use the desktop again.

It was not a complicated scene, just an icosphere with 4 subdivisions + auto smoothing and alt+D’ed it 5 or 6 times and enabled field of depth. HIP was enabled only for the AMD GPU and CPU was not checked. Render = Cycles + Supported + GPU Compute.

I did not have this problem on Nvidia + Windows, and not during the short period time when I was trying to use Nvidia + Linux. Due to Nvidia’s Wayland problems, I switched from Nvidia to AMD Radeon, and freshly installed Linux (Manjaro → Endeavour OS, both of which are based on Arch and are similar). I am using Wayland Gnome, fractional scaling, and dual monitors.

I would like to know whether this is a normal experience for Blender + AMD Radeon + Wayland Linux, or if there are people who are using Blender just fine under Blender + AMD Radeon + Wayland Linux. If it is the latter, maybe I need to buy an AMD Radeon card from a different manufacturer.

Manjaro Gnome, RX580, Open Source drivers (not hip). No problems like this, never ever.

Well, I have done some more research, and it seems that this problem exists only for RDNA2 cards. I think I can wait about year and even after that this problem still exists for RDNA2/3, I think I would move to Intel Arc.

Looks like they sell these cards with buggy BIOS. I tried two different RX-5700XT in a Non-UEFI board and got only a black screen. It didn’t even boot. Had to insert a second older card just to make it boot. But this results in all kind of driver hassle and runs hot because of limited space. I ended up returning the cards.
End of RDNA story for me. Never again. Might also try Intel, when i hear more positive resonances about it. No Bananaware anymore.

I use a Radeon Pro W6800 and Arch Linux. I’m using X, rather than Wayland. I’ve had zero problems.

In my experience, Wayland is buggy as hell, and I recommend staying away from it.

Please elaborate “Buggy as hell”. Without examples to reproduce it is quite useless as bug description. Or did you just wanted to promote your “error-free” 2500 Dollar graphics card?

Do you always act like this, or is today a special occasion? I’m not bragging about anything.

Weyland is well-known in the Linux community for being buggy as fuck comared to X.

Weyland is buggy enough that I had problems with it the one time I tried it, went back to X, and have had a relatively stable experience following.

Yes, always like that ;-( Never heard about these problems and you still did not even drop a single example. I think it is plain bashing. And i said please. My guess is that the RDNA drivers are badly written and incompatible with Wayland. I had to return two RX5700XT due to incompatibilities with Non-UEFI Bios. Now i suspect they had the problems with Wayland and not the Bios alone. That would also explain, why i could not find the exact reason. Several bugs on top of each other. I stay clear of new graphics cards for a while, as i am quite content with my old Polaris card. No probs so far.

Update. Problem solved with a cheap RX6600m from Alix (150 Euros, free delivery). Works even with the old X58 legacy BIOS. Most recommended. Best Blender bang for buck in 2023. Seriously. Do not install proprietary drivers, but ROCm only.