Is there anyway to convert fur to a mesh?

i’m trying to convert this fur on this cube to a mesh. i’m not sure if there’s a way to do that. is there?

I thought you had found it (particles modifier convert to mesh)

no no no! this is different. this is for fur. theres no fur to mesh modifier in the modifiers tab

Ok the geometry nodes fur.

Expand the fur in the outliner (the cube and then "curves), you will see the geometry node modifiers.

Edit (forgot the pic)

If you simply apply them all and convert to mesh you will loose their radius so you have to do a trick.

Follow this tut:

Normally it is best not to convert fur to mesh as it will make loads of geometry. Unless you want to export.

Edit; I do not think you can export curves as is.

1 Like

hello norman,

tysm for responding! i looked at the video but when i convert the fur to mesh it just disappears. probably something to do with the curves. idk if the geometry has to be thick like the one in the video yk.

but ill defo be using that method in the video 100% tysm! :smiley:

vid w fur:

Hmm, I swear I checked it to make sure it worked but today I get the same as you :cold_face:
The default fur does have a little bit off thickness.

Ok another method that does do it;

No need to add a plane.

1 I added fur to the default cube.

2 in the last GN modifier ( called “surface deform”) I added a curve to mesh node with a curve circle as profile curve. I set the resolution of the circle to 3 BEFORE PLUGGING IT IN. (the default 32 will probably crash Blender) You can leave the radius of the profile circle at 1m because the other GN modifiers are defining a factor for the radius (1 is multiplied by the radius set by the other modifiers, something like 1* 0.001 etc)

Now you can either “convert to mesh” in the object menu, or apply all the GN modifiers (top to bottom)
and the curves will convert to mesh.

This will just go to show that it is not a good idea to do this in the first place!
The result is 4 million verts for a little bit of fur in the default cube!

2 Likes

hey whats up man,

sorry for the late response. i didnt get a notification ages ago. but thank u so much for ur help and for giving all that valuable info. u saved me so much time. have a grfeat day :smiley:

(p.s ur right now i see why games dont really use fur when making carpets, eg. sims 4 etc (ithink))

1 Like