Is this a bug?

I was under the impression that plugging a value node into one of the mapping node inputs would change all the values by the same amount. However, it doesn’t seem to do that for the rotation input.

I set up a simple material and rotated x, y and z by 180 degrees each, so that the image would in this case look exactly the same. I then plugged in a value node with a value of 180 expecting it to give the same result. It didn’t. I tested this using the UV texture coordinates for these images but I got similar differences with other outputs from the texture coordinate node.

Is it supposed to act this way? If so, any idea what I misunderstood about using value nodes with the mapping node?

Rotation is in radians, 180 radians is 10313 degrees, or 28 full rotations and .64 (230 degrees) of a rotation, which is what you’re seeing, no?

That is- this looks likes a 230 degree rotation to me (you can ignore the 28 full rotations)

2 Likes

What I meant was I was under the impression that if you plug in a value of 180 to the rotation input it should give the same result as putting 180 in each of the x, y and z fields. Do you mean that numbers in the fields are in degrees but a value plugged into the input for the same fields is in radians?

You can rotate on one axis like this (if you want to rotate all the axes’s get rid of the combine node):

The math node will convert the input value to radians.

When you plug in a value to a rotation like that the rotation is in radians.

Yes this is correct.

Thanks for making this clear.

Hello,
You can also directly use the “Vector Rotate” node (Add → Vector → ) !
I :green_heart: :blender_logo_64_png: