Is this a good unwrap for a low poly rock object, can i improve it some how?

Hi

I am a still a noob at graphics and just trying to self learn unwrapping on simple objects like rocks. I created a seam around my rock and used smart uv unwrap.

I don’t know if i did it a good way or not so thought i would ask.

First my seam looks like this:

And the unwrap looked like this:

Do you have any suggestions on how i can improve my unwrapping for this object?

If you’re trying to unwrap your rock according to the seam down the middle you placed, you want to select “Unwrap” in the menu, not follow active quads. You should then get a better result.
But speaking of unwrapping organic objects, there are a number of ways this could be done. Truthfully, this depends on how you will use the mesh too, so you always have to take that into account when deciding on a method.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful to you.

Ah normal unwrap did make it one single piece that looks a lot better! Thank you. As for the type of unwrapping based on its use i don’t have much experience to know how to decide that =/ I thought the unwrap options were for types of geometry shapes rather than their end goal usage.

Yes, the unwrap options are for types of geometry. You wanted to know in your original post if you did good or not. I understand now you were just asking about the unwrap and not the seams. Yes, the more time you spend unwrapping objects the more familiar you will become with which method is best.

It took me a while to work out the ideal way to place a seam on a rock, in the end it just seemed like the only logical choice way to cut it in half. For some thing like a tree i would not have a clue how to do it.

The important thing here is that your learning. Every object will need to be unwrapped differently and over time it will become more intuitive as to where your seams should be.

Unwrapping a tree is fairly simple, especially since its made up of essentially cylinders. :wink: