Is this a good UV unwrap for Vtubing avatar?

I’m planning on using this character for a vtuber model and I Just wanted some feedback about the UV unwrap.

any critique and advice welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

The islands are clean and well unwrapped, though you could likely achieve a much better coverage of the UV space if you didn’t try to make it symmetrical. Unless you are planning on painting the texture directly over the UVs, I would consider coverage more important.

1 Like

I’m planning on painting the Textures in krita and I thought having it symmetrical like this would allow me to easily mirror certain parts of the texture but still allow me to have parts that aren’t mirrored.

1 Like

the only part that won’t work like that is the neck in the bottom right corner

Alright, if that is your workflow, then I would say this is fine. Your islands look very clean, so I think this is about as good as you will get with symmetry in mind.

I was also considering using another method where the one half of the uvs are flipped and put over the other set of uvs but then I’d have the whole texture mirrored without exception, but it would in theory use half the uv space allowing me to have more detail on the texture

This technique is valid and was often used in old video games. You don’t have to mirror everything without exception. You could use it for only some pieces, ex. combine the arms and legs’ UVs this way, but leave the rest non-mirrored.

This just isn’t something you would use if you were to bake textures or use normal maps, so this technique isn’t used much anymore, but if you are painting everything, it should work fine.

1 Like

thanks for the advice, I’ll consider using that technique but I honostly don’t know how much of the texture will be mirrored so for now I think I’m better off having it this way. but if it turns out some of the texture is mirrored I will use that method to save some space

But I have another problem currently and it’s nearly driving me insane.

when I UV unwrap, this part of the lips just wont work with me, it’s all warped and I can’t seem to figure out why

Do both unwrap methods do this?

unwrap_method

If they both have this problem, this might just be a geometry too complex for Blender to unwrap at once. You might need to split the island in half for a clean result.

Or, looking at the shape of the lips, you could try to go in front view and use “project from view” as your projection method. Then use proportional editing in “connected only” mode to part and spread the UVs, followed by “minimize stretch” to smooth them a bit.

I don’t know how well this would work, but I would try it.

thanks I’m gonna try right now

1 Like