Is this compositing or using the VSE?

Hi,

I have a 3d model helmet. I plan on using it in a video I took of a person playing guitar. The helmet will be super-imposed on top of the person’s head and will move in conjunction with the person’s head. Something very simple, much like this youtube video I found:

much like in this video, there are no moving parts on the helmet.

I’m not sure what I need to do to accomplish this or what this is even called? Do I need to master the VSE? or should I study compositing tutorials? In this next video,

you can see “pinpoints” on a time graph (especially at the :37 mark) which is making the model move, and I think this is what I need to do, but am not sure how to get to this point.

any suggestions, tips, etc?

It’s compositing using the node editor. For the helmet you’ll also need to learn about object tracking, and possibly camera tracking if the camera is moving. Fortunately there should be a lot of tutorials on Youtube.
The VSE is mainly used to edit together the various clips you create. The real VFX take place in the nodes compositor.

Steve S

I’ve searched through so many tutorials on youtube, but it doesn’t seem to be the same thing that I’m looking to do. Can you recommend a specific tutorial? I’m at the point of almost going to the hardware store and building a helmet myself :o