Issues with making GIF images that look crisp and clear

This is an issue I haved seen long ago when I was making GIF images using different software. And now I have a job where I am tasked with making GIF files and I would like to solve this by asking the people here. (full disclousre: I have posted this question so far on a discord channel too but I also think blenderartists.org might be a good place as well to ask).

I am making a gif with VSDC using simple still images. They are not photographs. They are .PNG images. But they are made from scratch in Paint.Net with text and they contain white space. The problem is that this white space contains what can be described as faint beige dots in a scratch pattern. Here is a link to a demo GIF showing what I am talking about https://photos.app.goo.gl/XDnC3qgcVUDU2R8Q6 . It is safe. It is the Google Photo cloud storage. You really need to see the gif to know what I am talking about, The only thing I can think of to try is the Encoder Mode. There is Constant Rote factor (CRF), Average bit rate (ABR), or Constant quantizer (QR). I have already tried the Target File Size option – the most logical choice – and it did not work. So I do not think the other choices will produce the results I need.

Over the years, I’ve made GIFs in two ways, both of which source PNG images.

The first way is just plugging the PNGs into Ezgif. I can’t recall a time I used it with transparent images, but I typically never got artifacts unless I optimize or shrink the image.

The second way is plugging the PNGs into GIMP. I mostly just use this now because it’s easier to edit. It’s a quirkier process, but all I have to do is make sure the color mode is indexed to 255 or 256 and they come out just fine with transparency. I only saw the stippling effect in areas with gradual transparency, like the lights in the bottom gif.

Hope this helps or you find an even cleaner solution :+1:

What I don’t understand when I look at the file is using too many layers.
It’s two image transitions and it uses 450 layers. :thinking:

There is an option to use for GIF animation and it can be timed.
Using a small number of layers with these features allows you to preserve a lot of colors in the same capacity.

1 Like

I don’t know about all those layers. Cound it be frames of the GIF? Are you confusing layers (that paint dot net allows you to have in their custom image) with frames of a GIF? Anyway, I solved the problem which I will post in a minute.

Great work. I like how you are using this opportunity to show off which is what I would have done if I had that awesome work to show off. Anyway, I figured out the solution. I will post it here for anyone else using VSDC.

1. You have to set the project settings opacy to zero. You can do that in the Project settings page at the beginning or, what worked for me was to create a blank project and set the Opacy level to zero in the Properties window. THis creates a project with true transparancy for a background but you have to do more.
  2. the PNG files I added to VSCD (Editor → Add Object…) were pre-edited with “Paint dot net” to set the white space to be transparent (click on the white space and then hit delete)
  3. Eventhough the images and the animation both have transparent backgrounds, what worked for me was to take it one step further and make sure the whole project is set to have set with “Video effects → Transparency → Bacnground Remover”

Then output the file as a GIF. If anyone who is here trying these steps has an issue or it fails to work, post your question. I don’t think I missed anything.

2 Likes

Glad you found the solution.

I’m sorry that posting examples came across as “showing off”. I was only trying to give examples of GIF results the other programs can achieve, and my own work is the only instance where I’ve used them for that.