It's not real!

In a small town, there was an abandoned house that the children called the “Phantom House.” Every Halloween, some friends from the neighborhood decorated it with fake cobwebs, lighted pumpkins, and fake ghosts. They let visitors in for a “scary tour,” but in the end, they discovered that the real magic was friendship and shared laughter. The Phantom House had never been so much fun!

Youtube Tutorial: https://youtu.be/Jr5YzNGSDKI?si=a8MINKXJK5YlShll
My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/mylittle3dworlds/

Blender 3.6

Addons used:
Bagapie
GeoScatter
Gscatter
Quixel assets

27 Likes

It’s a shame that all of that wonderful detail is completely lost in the shadows. You might consider relighting the shot so that the details come thru?

4 Likes

Hello @Midphase!!! If u look well (i talk with my monitor setup btw) details are a bit shadowed but still visible.
Usually i prefer daylight but this time i was trying something different) ^ ^.
Tks so much for your reply

In that case you might want to calibrate your monitor, as it might be displaying values a bit differently than most. I can tell you on this end that most of your image is very dark, and basically all that it’s visible are the glowing parts with the silhouette of the gate.

BTW, I am a professional Colorist, so what I’m seeing on my end reflects a fairly correct rendering of the image in a real-world setting.

But if your intent was this silhouetted look with little to no detail, then you succeeded.

2 Likes

on the foreground u can se leaves and pebbles?
If so it was my main intent together with house silouhette (for this reason i added the blueish light on the BG).
BTW for sure i’ll take a look to my monitor calibration, at this point i think it’s a bit to bright.
:sweat_smile:

I have my brightness cranked all the way up (which shouldn’t be the proper setting, the proper brightness setting on most monitors should be halfway to 2/3 of the way up), and I can barely make out the detail on the ground.

Here are the elements that I absolutely did not pick up on until I looked very closely or referenced your clay render:

Shadows of the kids,
Pumpkin
Rocks or leaves on the ground
Bushes on the sides, and the weed growing in the mid ground
Cracks in the plaster on the wall
Any texture or detail on the house

2 Likes

I did some changes, on my monitor is a bit too lighted btw.

4 Likes

That’s much better IMHO!

1 Like

Tks so much for your help!

1 Like

Interesting. I had my brightness turned all the up too, and I could see all the detail on the original, so I turned it down to what you recommend, 1/2 - 2/3, and could still see it without difficulty. I had to turn my screen brightness down to 5 percent before I started losing detail, and even as low as my screen brightness could go with the image at full size, I could still see most of the detail except in the very darkest areas, and I have a screen protector that makes the screen a shade darker than it would be without.

For what it’s worth, I prefer the original, the new version seems a hair too bright and saturated, but both versions are really nice pieces.

2 Likes

Hello and thank you for your answer, I know that monitor calibration is an age-old problem, every monitor in the end is different and if you look on a smartphone it is even worse. I also put back the first image, let everyone choose the one they prefer ^ ^

1 Like

It is amazing how much difference different screens can make. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On my phone at half brightness, I can see all the details :slight_smile: looks fantastic, by the way!

2 Likes

@G_De @joseph tks so much!!!

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Tks so much as ever @bartv

1 Like