Jabba's Palace for Vintage 3,75 inch figures

I am trying to recreate the same look for Jabba’s Palace but then for my 3,75 inch version in Blender. So any feedback is welcome.
So first picture is my render, second is from the movie.

1 Like

The characters look good. Are they 3D scans? I think two things would improve the render greatly. First is the lighting. Depending how close you want your render to be in appearance to the film, you could add a few localized and indirect lights. The second thing would be the addition of the dark foreground elements that are seen in the film shot. Otherwise, it’s easy to tell that these are toys with the exception of the walls and floor. They don’t look quite as plasticy as the rest.

2 Likes

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the feedback. The figures are indeed 3D scanned from the original Kenner toys. I just applied a simple color to them which also make them look more plastic.
The walls and items are 3D made by me. I have played around with the lights a lot, but do not seem to get it the way that I want. Also the scene is very heavy for my PC. So Viewport shading is not possible. (and each render takes about 10 min to complete. The Arch in the font is also there, but just not in this shot of the render. Overall the scene does look way darker, which makes rendering even more heavy, also I get strange artifacts when rendering for an animation. Any tips are appreciated.

1 Like

Change the lights a bit. But still have a render time of 22 minutes. How do you think it looks now?

Still playing around. Does this go in the right direction?

2 Likes

I think you are getting close when it comes to the background characters, but the droids in front are a bit hard to see because of the dark reflections.

In the image from the movie, there is a blue light shaft which reflects on them and makes the shape of the metal surfaces easier to see.

Also, the darkness in the reflections suggests to me that there is either nothing behind the camera or a dark environment. It might be a good idea to try adding bright surfaces off camera that will reflect on the droids, as that will likely help their shape stand out from the background.

1 Like