Jade shader Cycles vs Arnold

Hi, some time ago I found this tutorial for Arnold renderer http://mographplus.com/86-creating-the-dragon-shader-in-arnold-for-3ds-max/
I converted the scene to Blender and tried to recreate the shader (it’s not just copy-paste settings from Arnold as you know). This is what I get:

This is original made in Arnold:

Now the questions:

1. How can I decrease Specular in Glass/Principled shaders? Whenever I turn on Transmission in Principled it has specularity. I tried to Mix Refraction with Glass but when I setup GGX Multiscatter for Glass it crushes (with just GGX it looks wrong).
  2. When I connect Principled instead of Glass (both GGX Multiscatter) it looks same in viewport but in rendering Principled renders black… here’s the blender file:
    https://megaupload.nz/Ddq7w4meb6/dragon_shader_green4_7z
    any advice regarding render settings would be nice :wink: and if you can improve that shader to look more like Arnold, show it :wink:
    it’s Blender 2.79 master.
1 Like

hi first,your rendering looks close.

edit,i have loaded your file and played with.i switched to pathtracing,because even with cuda,the rendertime was to slow to me.i increased the volume bounces to around 5 in the lightpath.

you had override all materials, with the dragons material ,in the layers tab selected.there should no material in it,to render all materials ,you have in the scene.maybe usefull ,for a quick wireframe or clay render.

here are the material setup and the rendering.rendered with filmic in the colormanagement,and high contrast look.
i think the absorption/scatter could be a bit more vs the reference,but i think its close.

2 Likes

thank you, I’ll study your settings for a while (I’m very new to blender) This specular still looks too bright, it should be twice as weaker as it is now, but for some reason Glass shader in Cycles gives 100% specularity by default …

are you sure the lighting settings are right?(intensitys)
what color value is in the reference arnold glass shader?(reflection color)

here a new setup,without filmic with sRGB default in the CM.
with multiscatter ggx glass.

to me it looks close to the reference.keep in mind, this is not exactly the same setup, as in the video with SSS and transmission values.

1 Like

now it looks very close, the light setup is identical (light energy and everything)
Specular in Arnold is white 0,5 which is probably IOR 1,52

edit,
can you give me your render settings? don’t put a file from 2.8 please (my gpu can’t run 2.8)

sure,here they are.

greendragrenderset2

1 Like

I switched now to Path Tracing (not branched) and the result of rendering is very different, the colors are different, didn’t know those methods can give such different results.

I have tweaked this a bit, I used Beckmann in glass, strengthened back light and mixed glass with refraction to decrease specular:
dragon-3dmax-cycles
and below is original rendered in Arnold:
dragon-3dmax

Dunno why I get this weird “light leak” at the bottom though

1 Like

Your version is obviously better :slight_smile:

sorry, can i have the file for blender 2.80? because i read all the conversation but mi object is less trasparent and this jade effect won’t work. Thanks all.