Jaguar XKR-S

Looking good so far! Love the tire shader.

Finally had some time. Made the grille and started on the logo.

Hi,

Car model looks great. Just wondered how you made your grille?

I am trying to make a grille at the moment and have created a pattern. I am now trying to make this pattern follow the shape of the blank surface i have in place of a grille. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Logo is done, should be good enough. I’m not 100% sure how it goes around the grille…

Welcome to the forum! I can post something soon about how I made it, and hopefully it can help you.

How the grille was made: (and how to make other similar things in the same way)

1. make the basic repeated shape
  2. make sure it tiles seamlessly (the ends meet up)

3. rotate 45 degrees. (some times you might not need this. then to #5)
  4. It doesn’t tile now anymore, (but we know it is possible because #2.) Make it tile

5. Add array modifiers to give the shape.
  6. Add a lattice modifier and shape to fit

Depending on the complexity of the desired result, these steps can be skipped or changed.
    Basically what you do it build up the shape how you see fit, and bend it with a lattice modifier.

Thanks! That’s a great help. I will give this method a try :slight_smile:

Dude how do you achieve that smooth wireframe look?

OK got it, “Adjust edit cage to modifier result”? :slight_smile:

Yup, that’s what I did. Additionally I would turn off things like display creases depending on the object, and turn on display>only render, edge select mode, and maybe a matcap in order to show just the model.
There are also plenty of easy ways to render wireframes, which I would use for a finished model, but for images as above this way works just fine.

Nice Work!

I don’t speak but I follow your WIP. Continues, nice modeling work.

Yes, looking quite good.

Thank you for the compliments folks! Hopefully I will have some time soon to work on this, and I will be sure to update then.

Finally had some time (correction: took some time), and fixed the door bumps, and modeled the door handle and mirrors. I haven’t modeled anything for half a year (! :eek:), so they are way off in terms of quality and accuracy, but we shall see if they hold up or not.

Seeing some issues with panel consistency between door and rear fender panel…other than that, looks good.

What is spline cage modeling?

From my understanding: Basically the spline cage is like a 3d version of your blueprints/reference photos made from curves/mesh. Then model the car snapping the mesh to it. It’s just a way of helping find/keep your shape and be consistent among panals.

Studies are finally over, though I still don’t have much time… So a little update.
Headlights are always a hard part for me. I started these back in December, and haven’t touched them until now, but finished them and hope they will look acceptable enough from a distance. There is some issue with the glass to figure out…

Attachments