JFlow Alpha - GPU accelerated Fire and Smoke Simulator

Hi, I’m an author of an experimental GPU accelerated Smoke and Fire simulator called (for now) JFlow Alpha. It is a continuation of the previous thread for anyone interested in the development of such app.

18 Likes

Here is a short test I’ve made yesterday.

8 Likes

damnnnnn blender’s own embergen ??? haha . looks amazing man … keep it up

2 Likes

Something like that :slight_smile: . Probably worse as I’m doing it alone, after hours and without budget (also I’m still studying so my skill is not that great). But the idea is to make fast and good looking simulations possible to anyone

6 Likes

I saw this last year, and my god is it incredible! Great job - really looking forward to future updates!

1 Like

if you really fledge this out , you can make lots of money with the addon or better you can sell it to blender and/or shoot a dev employment to be payed to develop it

Some new tests

14 Likes

That’s really cool, or should I say hot.
Really great work. Even if it’s not perfect I’d suggest you put it on BlenderMarket and make it easily installable, I think a lot of people would find it useful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okey,

I’ve made a lot of internal changes and optimizations.
One of the biggest ones are reduction of memory usage in GUI mode by almost 50% and reduction of baking memory usage by around 30%. That means that during baking a 300x400x300 scene uses 1,3GB of VRAM. Below are some screenshots from blender of such scene (low resolution capture, I’ll render it maybe later as I’m still fine-tuning the shader)

And another scene with 650^3 resolution that requires 7,5GB of VRAM

8 Likes

Sill Windows only, no Mac?

1 Like

For now Windows and CUDA only, as I don’t have a Mac or a Radeon card. If I ever get enough money to buy one I’ll make a Metal and HIP version but for now I just don’t have any money for that.

1 Like

From the last video there are a lot of internal changes:

• GUI mode uses around 40% less VRAM
  • Baking mode uses around 30% less VRAM
  • VDB sourcing uses 50% less VRAM
  • a lot of fixes and stability improvements
  • Volume Upscaling now adds details to the simulation (the flamethrower scene is an example)
  • Cycles shaders are now much better (still in development though)
  • Cycles shader now looks much better in EEVEE, however it’s not 1:1 due to different volume handling
  • exporting is a tiny bit faster
  • better fine details in the smoke using the same resolution
  • obj objects have now a solid option if it’s watertight
  • better obj sampling
  • all emitters have now density and temperature control
  • temperature and density are now separate in the solver with very little memory consumption addition and almost none performance drop
  • more info in GUI
7 Likes

That’s freaking cool. Hope Blender takes notice and supports you. This is just a feature in blender that is missing. Hope Blender doesn’t get lost with all the geometry node stories and structures in Blender, which are also in development in the simulation nodes. It is somehow becoming more and more confusing where the journey regarding smoke and fluid sims in blender is going. Have a good time and I think it’s freaking cool. Keep going and all the best!

5 Likes

Few last days were optimization days as I had some ideas from some time.

• GUI mode now uses 20% less memory
  • Rendering in GUI and during baking is around 20x faster with even better quality (sometimes it’s even faster)
  • You can now render upscaled volume
  • Fixes in upscaling and rendering
  • More GUI information

Also a preview render from JFlow with 500^3 resolution and 2x Upscaling. Sim-time around 600ms/frame, memory: 10,5GB VRAM, Saving OpenVDB files: around 6sec/frame
Rendered with Blender Cycles

7 Likes

And just the smoke

3 Likes

Oh hey, I wondered why the thread on devtalk had gone quiet for a while ^^
I’m sorry to see that it got caught up with so many unrelated posts, but this is awesome, and it’s really great to see you’re continuing the development!

1 Like

Yeah, I think they wanted to focus more on core blender development. Unfortunately I’ve realized they’ve disabled the ability to add posts too late so I couldn’t create a thread here and add a link.

The development however is going fine. Sometimes slower, sometimes faster but nevertheless for the better.

Still far from ready, but I’m much closer to finishing the core so I could work more on the GUI and blender addon

3 Likes

No need to rush, what you’ve managed already is incredible, and it’s great to hear that it’s going well!

A very quick explosion to test Volume Upsampling. Simulation has been done with 128x256x128 resolution and upscaled by a factor of 3.
Rendered in Blender Cycles.
Compositing in Affinity Photo (it’s a bit oversharpened but I’m still working on a proper workflow and I was doing it in like 10 minutes including scene preparation, baking, rendering and comp)

And an animation

6 Likes

I made an account just to comment. This is incredible. I have been plagued by horrifically slow smoke sims in blender for years. I really hope blender devs take a look at this and hopefully improve upon blenders sims. This is a game changer.