joining two faces..but WAIT..not triangular *[urgent]*

please help…i know i can join two triangular faces (alt + j) but how would i join two rectangular faces thats joining two vertices
THanks

You can only have 3 or 4 sided faces – blender doesn’t support ngons.

GreyBeard

ok, so how would i make them one big square. Lets say theres on big square face, and i loop cut it, now theres two rectangles…how would i make it one face again, with only 4 vertices (without undoing of course)

I tried fgon, this made it one face!! :D, but theres 6 vertices ?!? :S

Also, i would like to know how you can make a new edge on a square face going straight through it, i cant use ‘f’ because theres no verts to do it, and i cant use loop cut because that would make a face through the WHOLE plane (subdivided plane) and i want it on one face only?

Question 1:

delete the 2 middle verts and then select the 4 outer verts and press f.

Question 2:

fgons are fake ngons – it just hides the interior edge from view but the geometry is the same.

Question 3:

Also, i would like to know how you can make a new edge on a square face going straight through it

Don’t really understand what you mean. Are you trying to cut one face of a cube without effecting the other faces ??

GreyBeard

I assume in question 3 you mean you have a square in a mesh, with other squares and you want to cut one square without cutting all the others in the same row?

If so, you can use the knife on this square and the accept or fix the resulting edges in the adjacent squares or you can delete the adjacent squares that would be affected, Ctrl-R the square you wan to cut, then rejoin the vertices of the empty squares to your liking. Either way you’ll end up with some triangles (if that matters) in those adjacent squares. You can avoid these triangles by doing two cuts in your target square and rejoin the verts such that one is a true quad and the other is a quad that looks like a tiangle (very useful for creases, such as facial wrinkles, or for adding detailed geometry in one part of a low-poly mesh, like adding a handful of fingers to an arm with maybe only 10 verts around its circumference.)

EDIT:
Or, just select two opposing edges (with edge select, not vertex) and subdivide them. Again, this gives you 3 triangles at either end and you’ll have to fix this manually if you don’t want tris.