Jot WYSIWYG NPR source code available from code.google.com

The developers of Jot, the WYSIWYG NPR renderer, have made the sourcecode available here: http://code.google.com/p/jot-lib/

You can browse it,
here is the trunk

To see what’s Jot, take a look here:
Kalnins page at Princeton (old)
and here:
60Mb DivX video

Anyone willing to make builds?

Holy smokes!!!:eek:

I remember Jot back before Freestyle was around.
This one is really made for animation.
Now I’m wondering if Maxime an T.K can add this to what they are doing with Freestyle/Blender.

Good news.

This looks amazing, has anybody managed to download the 2002 version from the princeton site? (http://jot.cs.princeton.edu/ - it tells me that my email address is invalid when I try to register)

I’m sure freestyle can be improved to better support animation, and ofcourse when in trunk people will make new/better styles. perhaps replicating the ones from this project.

What looks great about this one is the way you can draw your own outlines, shading or styles onto the objects and then it replicates that around the object, really personal 3d rendering!

Y’all gott watch the video (linked above)! It’s frickin’ sweet! Is there a chance that the liscence is compatible with blender’s and that some of this could be “lifted” and tacked on to the freestyle integration project? Esp. the coherence over time, but also the variable levels of detail based on distance from the camera… just really cool NPR stuff that blender needs! :smiley:

EDIT: BTW, could anyone with compiling skillz do a windows build and post it, maybe? (Pretty Please?)

I saw the announcement, but I can not see where the source code is available?? Anybody?
The development on Freestyle is excellent, albeit a bit slow, but back to moving. I would like to see the Jot libraries slowly worked into the mix, and Blender will be the best on the block for NPR.
Paul

paul? did you click on the first link in the first post? see the tab off to the right that says source?
http://code.google.com/p/jot-lib/source/checkout

Wow the video totally got me. I love it. It even looks good in animation

Video is really fantastic!!

Oooo. I remeber seeing this back when it came out and wondered what happened to it. It’s simlpy amazing. I’m hoping someone can hook into it through Blender. That would be absolutely fantastic.

-g-

Looks pretty interesting, will have to try and build it later.

Good luck…

I tried to build it earlier with no luck. Didn’t spend too much time trying to figure out their build system because I have better things to do.

I might take another look at it later if I get bored with what I’m working on now.

I did notice they have a winders binary on one of the links.

I saw the video and I was without words, math is impressive. I am too stupid!

I’ve built an Mac Os X / X11 (PPC) Jot app, with little modifications to the Makefile.local

Strange enough: can be launched with double click from icon AND from X11 xterm…

My build can:

• open the main window
  • load files (ehm… some simple files)
  • switch to the Rendering Mode window
  • switch to the Light Control window
  • show smooth rendering, flat rendering, hidden line, wireframe, normals, keyline (if launched from the X11 terminal), show and hide hidden lines in outline rendering
  • show NPR line rendering
  • correctly output window grabs in png format
  • record animations made moving scene objects with the mouse and playing them back

and my build can’t:

• editing the NPR Stroke ( editor greyed out)
  • modify the silhouette by painting on it (no silhouette selection at all)
  • save files (Bus Error)

I’m in the early steps, and I will proceed slow.

To be clear after my first post:
I didn’t ask Maxime (Curioni) to partecipate in Jot. He was too kind with me when I wanted to make a Mac Os X PPC version of Blender/Freestyle to annoy him with other requests. I will keep him as a last resort in case of emergency :wink:
and:
I don’t think to ask anyone to integrate Jot into Blender. Blender plus Freestyle will be a perfect app for NPR. Jot, to me, is a matter of mere pleasure in understanding how they did such a software.

Last:
Jot 1.0.0 for Windows, is available here: http://jot.cs.princeton.edu/downloads/jot-1.0.0.zip but an account may be requested to access the page.

Nice one Robi, I had a little go, but only got as far as the win32 / Linux question and im on OS X Intel…

Is there a chance your adjusted makefile would work for me?

Like I was saying a few posts up I only messed with it for a couple minutes…

You need to read the doc/start-here.txt file where it tells you the shell variables and whatnot you need to set.

Probably wouldn’t be too much trouble to set up a proper configure/make build environment but I still haven’t gotten bored with my current project.

Would be even cooler to try to port some of the shader code into a compositor node (like the toon edges) or something along those lines. Looking at some of the things they were able to do with pynodes it should at least be possible. Might have a go at it eventually…as long as there isn’t too much complex math to decipher that is.

Wow. The video is really great and I could see how that would be very useful in Blender. I would even say its more useful than Freestyle since its completely interactive and requires minimal effort from an artists other than being able to draw with a tablet.

This is truly amazing toon rendering engine. i would LOVE to see this implemented in Blender. It really offers amazing effects and freedom for artistic expression.

why does everything got to be integrated into blender? this looks like a great program (if it only could compile simply I would be happy)!