Juan Calvo - Sketchbook

Hello. I’m learning how to use the grease pencil. I managed to create a simple caricature. Definitely going to recycle this for more experiments, because it took quite an effort.

7 Likes

Hi Juan, welcome to the forums!

Nice work there. Look forward to seeing your progress. :+1:

Hello. Thank you, I appreciate that!

1 Like

It looks like it, there’s a lot more detail than I was expecting when I read “simple caricature”. :slight_smile:

Thank you. The grease pencil is vector based, but the workflow is nothing like other programs, so I had to figure out how to solve basic stuff like gradient effects, in a way that I can use this knowledge later to take full advantage of Blender capabilities.

I guess a complex caricature would be for me something that looks like a painting.

1 Like

Here I’m trying to achieve the gradient effect from classic Nintendo art. Had to use airbrush strokes masked from shapes I concealed by changed their tint to match the color of the thing underneath…Hopefully I’ll figure out a less cumbersome method.

1 Like

In my limited experience (See: I googled it just now) with classic Nintendo Art, it looks like you’ve captured it pretty well. Their gradients are maybe a little more extended than yours, but again, my experience with Nintendo is limited.

That background though… It’s so yellow. :laughing:

Yes, I kind of gave up trying to make the gradients look pretty on this attempt. Probably one more airbrush pass at a large size would have improve it.

1 Like

This one has gradient materials. Very difficult to edit the gradients, it’s like a broken flying simulator. It would be great to have some type of graphic indication of where the gradient is applied when it doesn’t show inside a shape.

1 Like

More experiments with Freddy.

2 Likes

I discovered “viewport render animation”.

1 Like