Just out of Curiosity: Does anyone here now EXCLUSIVELY ONLY use Eevee for your production work?

I do alot of sci fi animation and use EEVEE

except for fire&smoke which really needs cycles to look best

1 Like

Best practice is to “render” to [MultiLayer] OpenEXR, since this is a data-file format that will capture all of the numbers (!!) exactly. (Originally developed by Industrial Light & Magic.)

Use this “master” to then generate all of the individual “deliverables” that the project’s clients require. In this way, “lossy compression” only occurs at the final step and never accumulates. You can also fine-tune for the technical characteristics of each target – color-adjustment and so on – without losing or re-doing anything.

1 Like

Yep currently making a music video which is a mixture of dimly lit night time city streets and some sci fi environments using green screened footage imported as planes into the scene to get reflections etc.

I had one professional case where I needed cycles for its ability to override all shaders in a scene in a different renderpass. Everything else has been schievable in eevee so far, at least in my usecases.

That said its nice to have cycles, its a fantastic tool to also have.
Neither tool is the be all end all, and in most cases eevee is a reallly good fit

New Blender user here. I have done one job so far for court-room visualization and EEVEE was a great balance of quality and speed.

My background is in the film and broadcast domain, where we used everything from uncompressed TIFFS to, nowadays, multi-layer EXR for passes, tracking data, and cryptomattes.

Blender and EEVEE would never have provided all the tricks we needed for 3D-2D integration, tracking or, to a lesser degree, visual effects. That said, Everything is changing, so it could all change next week. Loving it regardless.

Agreed. An amazing tool.