Kabra Nodes - Architect

This is my two year project. A proof of concept world-building framework. Kabra Nodes.

UI and the data structures shown are still in prototyping.

Proprietor and Architect are tightly linked. Proprietor is responsible for generating simple shapes, using data propagated down from Planner. Alternatively, they can be hand crafted. Architectures can be applied to these Properties.

Generated UVs.

Many features have been omitted from the menus for simplicity’s sake.

Kabra is made of many sub-systems. Each of these systems alone are quite achievable. To build them robustly and integration-friendly is another matter. Many were rebuilt several times. Strong foundations require foresight.

Here is a short, sloppy reel to demonstrate some of the features actually being used. This is not quite real time. Evaluations can vary from 3-9+ per second. Usable but not ideal. Speed has been a key focus in development, both for evaluation and viewport. It’s not enough for it to look right, it needs to perform well. There is still decent room for optimization in evaluations. Viewport is otherwise silky smooth.

Kabra Architect is surprisingly stable, for what it is. There is some jittering present. Primarily floorboards and the roof tiles (occurring from poorly applied random offsets). There’s also some slight jitter in the studs, from outdated systems. These bugs are very fixable, but won’t be addressed until some much needed cleanup is first done.

9 Likes

Is this an addon? any beta for testing?

2 Likes

If this is an addon i’d like to test it

1 Like

I appreciate your interest. :sunglasses: It’s not currently an addon. I’m undecided what to do with it. In any case, it’d be a real unpleasant experience to use until the UI is built. The UI shown is prototyped in Figma. There are hundreds of moving parts, so UX needs to be right before it’s worth building.

Here is a picture of the old, incomplete bricking system.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see how this progresses. I would love to try something like this out in the future whenever you feel like its ready!

1 Like

Openings! I’m so glad to finally work on them. Small work for such a big payoff visually. It’s already pretty versatile too, shown here in arch-head and circle configurations. These are not prefabs. Their dimensions are customizable using fields and float curves, like everything else. That being said, there’s a lot of complicated geometry work ahead to make it a one-stop shop for doors and windows.

Implemented staggered tiles, shown here with slate tiling. I was getting tired of looking at those Spanish tiles.

The bricking system makes this image rather jarring. It doesn’t yet play nice with corners and gables. There’s a lot of consider before working on it. Ideally, the next upgrade should allow things such as Dutch townhouse facades, which I have an affection for. That ought to really emphasize the versatility of the framework. But it pales in comparison to curved roofing! :flushed:

2 Likes