Kara - Original Character Portrait

[UPDATE - 06/11/2023] – I have made some fairly significant changes to the original sculpt, and so have updated this thread with the new images.

Hi all,

Meet Kara – an original character that I created some time ago, who happens to be the main protagonist of a book I’ve spent entirely too long writing.

This is my second attempt at trying to capture how I see her in my mind, and I think this is probably as accurate as I can get. The main goal of course was to capture her, but also to technically improve over my last attempt from 2019 (I think?), which I think I managed…just a little :wink:

All modelling and sculpting done in Blender. Skin texturing was done in Substance.

I hope you like her!

Just to prove I wasn’t slacking around the back where nobody would see :joy:

Clay Renders:

Render Vs clay (I love this slider so much!)

Today vs 2019

27 Likes

Very nice! What is the story about?

2 Likes

Thanks!

I’ve not written an ‘official’ blurb yet, but this is a WIP blurb that I wrote a couple months ago when working on the third draft:

In the late Twenty-Third Century, humanity descended into chaos and destruction. Civil wars, revolution, and desperate power grabs – the likes of which the world had never seen – left the world shattered, and humanity on the brink.

But from the ashes of the broken world, humanity unexpectedly rose anew, driven by unexplained advances in technology, and a sustained period of wealth and co-operation.

Kara, a former Hunter, has spent the past three years searching for answers, trying to uncover the origins of a mysterious symbol on her wrist. Her search has taken her far and wide, but after three long years, and little to show for it, she begins losing hope of ever discovering the truth. But then, unexpectedly, she receives an anonymous message – a message pointing her to a highly secretive prison on the outskirts of the Kuiper Belt.

What she finds changes everything, and leads her down a path that puts her, and the people around her, in danger.

Can she learn the origins around the strange marking, all whilst unravelling a sinister plot that threatens to send the world back into chaos?

3 Likes

I would read this, let us know when it gets published :grin:

2 Likes

Ha! Well…I might be looking for a few Beta readers later in the year, so… :eyes:

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

I remember Kara. She looks amazing! You’ll be able to do a fantastic cover art with your current skills.

You’ve improved a lot since her earlier version, but I still think her overall character design is pretty awesome. The face is a lot more realistic now, but the clothes were always good. I definitely hope we’ll see more of her.

Also I’m a big fan of this sort of genre. I would definitely like to know when it’s published (or if you want a beta reader).

Oh, and how did you do the slider thing? I might be as amazed by that as I am by your sculpting and texturing.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the kind words! I hope to get the manuscript ready for Beta readers later in the year, so will definitely shoot you a DM if you’re interested :slightly_smiling_face:

The slider is a site plugin made by the very talented @joseph - cool, huh?

1 Like

Definitely count me in as a wannabe Beta reader, if you’ll have me. After all, the only way I’m getting to the Kuiper Belt is by reading science fiction novels.

Yes, the slider is amazing. I think I have it figured out, I just found the button for it. It’s the half black half white star next to the upload button on the formatting bar. Is it new? I don’t think I noticed it before.

2 Likes

Yep, that be it. I think it was added a couple of months ago.

1 Like

I have made some significant changes to her, and have edited the original post with the new render.

1 Like