Keeping a surface flat

I may have asked a similar question before.

When manipulating a quad is there any way to ensure the face remains flat? So when moving an edge or a vert it’s forced to stay on the same plane, bearing in mind the quad may not be fixed to any particular plane.

Or is this only achieved by careful modelling procedure?

Thanks.

Either by moving using restrictions, such as if you want to move along the “X” axis use “G” for move, then “x” to constrain to the x axis etc. or after moving, if all the vertices need to be on the same plane use the Scale, plane, “0” method. So if you want all the verts to be on the same plane vertically you could go “S” for scale, “Z” for the z axis then “0” and it lines all the vertices on the same z axis.

the above method will work, but only if you want the plane to face directly in the direction of a specific axis.

If the plane/face is already flat, and you just want to move the verts along its edges maintaining the flatness, you could try vert sliding. if you select a vert and then press G and then G again, you can slide the vert up and down its conecting edges. You can also do the same with edges and edge loops.

Mesh Cleanup:

not certain about that make planar !

it might make other connected faces non planar !

you could also set custom transform to a face and move verts !

happy bl

You can use make planar. Or Flatten from the looptools menu. Or using the scale option with a custom transform orientation.

But if it’s connected to other faces you may, as Ricky points out, start making the surrounding faces non planar. If that’s not a problem then the above methods work well.

was there a solution? i want this too, to sketch out and sculpt polygon looking things. i need a intuitive and flowy method that i can take a corner of a surface and pull it and the surface will stay flat.

Do you mean Hard surface sculpting?

well -ish… or not really i dont know, hard surface is a pretty wide theme to me that can be lots of shapes… im looking for a way to make stuff that is made up from only flat surfaces, that i can manufacture with sheet material and a lazer cutter theoretically.
i can do this in fusion 3d very slowly but i thought there was a much better and faster way in blender

One way is to scale the face by a factor of 0 along the normal. This could result in other faces becoming non-planar though.

For this kind of modelling I use an addon from Kushiro:
Bend Face

PS: For sheetmetal you could export your model as a papermodel (built-in addon)