Keyframes that will not delete

Trying to learn how to animate in Blender 4. May I ask, what are these “Rig Action” keyframes that will not delete?

I like keeping a clean timeline so I can see only the keys that equate to my character.

If these “rigAction” keys are not necessary, is there a way to stop these “rigAction” keys from being key’d and stop them from showing up in the timeline?

Check it in Dope Sheet and Graph Editor at the same time. :thinking:

Question, is there a way to animate effectively with only one time line open to the animator?

The basic UI for animation uses Dope Sheet.
Compare the functions of timeline and dope sheet and use the function that suits you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Dope Sheet — Blender Manual

Timeline — Blender Manual

These keys are also visible in the Dope sheet, they cannot be deleted.

1.Question: If the “rigAction” channel is not needed, is there a way to permanently hide this “rig channel” in the dope sheet?

1. Question: The rig was made with Rigify, if the “rigAction” channel is not needed, can I stop the channel from being key’d?

This is a summary line, it’s showing you all keyframes part of the action. It’s named “rigAction.003” because your rig is named “rig.003” and any new action is automatically named with the armature name + the word “action”. If a keyframe shows on that summary line at any given frame, it means at least one of the controllers in that rig has a keyframe. If it doesn’t go away when you hit delete or X, it means at least one channel is locked, and the keyframes on that channel cannot be deleted. If you want to rename an action, the simpest way is to change the dopesheet mode to “action editor”- a text field will show in the header where you can change the action name.

2 Likes

Hello Hadriscus, I scrolled up and down the columns with the keys in question, there were no keys visible in the columns.

May I ask, since this is a Rigify rig, do I need to do something to the rig to see the invisible keys attached to ''RigAction.003?

At the right of the top toolbar on the dope sheet, there are these buttons:

If you switch off the one to the left (the arrow/pointer shaped one), it will show all keys in the action. You’d normally want it to be switched on, as it limits the visible channels to whatever you have selected.

The one next to it (“Show Hidden”) is probably also worth switching on, if you’re trying to track things down.

1 Like

If you lock that key, the key is no longer inserted.

1 Like

Sorry, I am still confused; I still feel new to Blender. May I ask, what is the “Rig action track?” Do I need this animation track? The documentation is hard to understand.

I think I know what question you’re asking? It’s not easy to explain. :thinking:
I don’t know how to explain it since I don’t specialize in animation. sorry :sweat_smile:

If you ask a more specific question here, other people will likely be able to provide you with more detailed information.

Ok, asking a more specific question about animating with Rigify rigs.

1. When I use a Rigify rig, this “rig action” track keeps cluttering my timeline with keys that cannot be moved when I slide other keys around. These “rig action” keys are always left behind when I slide keys around. If these keys are not needed by the user, it would be great to just hide the track so I don’t see the keys.

2. When I slide keys on a Rigify rig, I always grab the Summary keys. However, grabbing the summary keys does not seem to grab the “rig action” keys. The “rig action” keys are always left behind.

3. Question: On a Rigify Rig, if the “rig action” track is not needed, can I hide the track so I do not see it?

4. Question: On a Rigify rig, if the “rig action” track is needed, can I turn on a setting so the “rig action” keys will move when I grab the summary keys?

1. The immovable keyframe seems to be a problem with how to edit the keyframe.

2. League action is an animation of a character. It cannot be hidden or erased.

If you minimize the pop-up window, only the minimum keyframe is visible.
Adjust the animation keyframe interval in this setting

If you open a lot of pop-ups, you can control more and more keyframes, but it’s hard to find complex and incorrect keyframes.

※ There may be some misinformation because I don’t know much about editing Rigify animations. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Can you upload the file and give us a link so we can review it?

Question: Looking at your solution, is your solution “to grab the keys in the rig action to move all the keys at once,” and not use the Summary to move all the keys at once?

I don’t know because I haven’t thought about these questions. :thinking:

Not all keys are moveable like the first question, and certain keys need to be moved by opening a pop-up. (I’m not sure why exactly.)

Other keys can be moved even if the pop-up is closed, and keys that are not moved can be moved if they belong to the same frame.

Move the keyframe that is not moved in the first image to the same position as the other keyframe. This will move all keyframes.

Wouldn’t it be important to figure out where the keyframe belongs and whether it’s in the wrong place or intended? UI is just for work convenience. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I would like to know how to move all keys at once.

This kind of feels like a bug with Rigify or the timeline with Rigify.

There are parts where I am not good at explaining what I know. :joy_cat:
If you look at the link below, I think a lot of things will make sense.

If you can help, check out the entire lecture
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22fMiaWNXwm0Y5_bTNOuByBTmyq6gzow

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion, this series does not appear to animate with Rigify.

I believe the solution I’m looking for will be found with a " Rigify "animation workflow.

Rigify is just a semi-automated rig builder. there are no animation workflow specific to Rigify really, it’s basically the same as most rigs.

I insist on @stilltrying’s request, it would greatly help if you could just share a file with us, where we can see the issue you have and check what is causing it.

On a different note, do you have experience with 3D animation already, or are you learning animation from the start? In the later case, I would strongly advise starting way simpler than a whole character. 3D animation learning is classically started from a very simple object with only one type of motion, that is for multiple good reason: you learn the basics one difficulty at a time instead of all at once, and you learn the basics of the tools you get in 3D and the specific software without getting overwhelmed.

1 Like