Kinetix MOCAP by video now Freeware

https://www.kinetix.tech

So here’s another of those so-called ‘services’. It’s very telling all those machine-learning ‘mocap from a video’-services are always SAS (software as a service) and always web-based.

It’s not a scam, I’m sure it actually works as advertised, but it still kind of overreaches the user.

From the Terms of Service:

11.2.1. The User grants, on a non-exclusive and free basis, all intellectual property rights over the
Contents to Kinetix.
[…]
11.2.4. This license is effective both in France and abroad and for the entire legal term of protection
of intellectual property rights. It will only be used for the purpose of providing the Services and training
Kinetix’s algorithms. This Section 11.6 shall survive the expiration or termination of the General Terms and Conditions for any reason whatsoever.

11.2.5. The User grants in advance to Kinetix the exclusive and free right to protect all or part of the
results of the Content (to the exclusion of the Results) for its own benefit, in particular for applications for patents, trademarks and models relating to this Content. The title will be the exclusive property of
Kinetix.
[…]

11.3.1. If the User has subscribed to Free Services: Kinetix grants the User a private, worldwide and
non-exclusive right of use on the Results, for the duration of copyright in France. This license only allows the User to use the Results for his personal and non-commercial use (not for resale, download, distribute, or for any other commercial use).

In other words, using their service, means giving Kinetix the right to use the user’s uploaded videos to train their algorithms. It further means giving them the exclusive right to use the result of the process for their own benefit.

Anyway I believe this is kind of a shady practice.
Sort of like if you’d pay s.o. to walk your dog and they (apart from doing that) would also monetize your dog to their own benefit, while it was in their care (e.g. by having your dog compete at dog beauty pageants).

greetings, Kologe

4 Likes

Agree, @Kologe. There are many online mocap services now including Rokoko Video, Plask.ai, and many many others. But I don’t think they need to be SoftwareAsAService. BlendARmocap and Freemocap both do processing ON YOUR PC, in times I find are just as fast (sometimes faster) than the online services, with no transfer times, and for free, without giving up the rights to your video:

2 Likes