Kite Game WIP

AAA Kiteboarding

AAA Kiteboarding is a simulation game of the kitesurfing sport. For everyone who is not familiar with this sport here’s a short clip (as videos speak more than thousand words…) http://vimeo.com/9236491

I started this game project in June 2011 when I rediscovered blender.

Here’s the link to the almost finished game:

OLD VERSION******

What I did so far:

-Basic Kite-physics (quite satisfied with the result - just one bug to fix)
-Nice water textures
-LoD
-Environment with terrain, trees, portuguese house and windmill… (just one level “Algarve”)
-HUD (Kitespeed, Boardspeed, Altitude)
-Water effects (splashes, stream)
-Different Camaras
-Kitelines (displayed as ray-lines)
-2D Filters (SSAO and Grading)
-Reflection for the water

What is still to do:
-Kite modell as a softbody
-Lens flares for the cams
-White foam at the beach-break
-CHARAKTER + ANIMATIONS
-Further Level design + more levels
-Snowkiting as well (just replace the water by snow :wink: )
-Objectives like freestyle scores, races and AI
-Sounds
-Depth of field

…Still a lot to do!

What are my aims?

I want to bring this game out for the kite community, since there hasn’t been any kite game out yet. I am a kitesurfer myself so it brings me twice the pleasure building this game :slight_smile:

If in the end I see that the result is at a presentable level for being provided to the wide world I would sell this game either to a kite-company for promotion or sell it myself online.

Furthermore, if anyone is interested to join this project I would welcome this. Mostly I need someone with charakter animation skills. I cannot pay in advance. Should this game be sold the person joining would receive a total of 30 - 40% from the sales depending on how much he/she has done.

Here some screens, video will be added soon!

well sweet

Yeah, nice graphics. Really well done! There’s been only one other game about a kite that I know of that was made with the BGE, and it got some coverage on indiegames.com. Keep it up!

thanks! I checked indiegames.com but couldn’t find the kite game so far… but I found some others over the internet :slight_smile: nice to have references

1 Like

little update: kitelines, reflection on the water and 2D-filter (last 4 photos)

uploaded a clip on youtube, so now there’s a video in the first post

Cool video, the gameplay looks pretty smooth :slight_smile:

I like the gamepaly, I hope it turns out well for your kite-surfing buddys. :wink:

I am almost done with the game, sold it to a client.

Would appreciate feedback and crits.

Very nice game, playing frequently last 2 weeks since I discovered! But please, de-bug it, make it stable. I really like the game mechanisms, controls, badass jumping and everything, but it just crashes every second minute. It’s a same because it could be a kiteboarding icon.

Really nice work, a-k-m!

Jesus, I started this project in 2011 :open_mouth:
Where are all those years?!

Anyways… I picked up the project from time to time and now this is what it looks like in 2020

2 Likes

wow, it looks very nice ! I did some kite but i would feel safer playing this

1 Like

haha yeah it probably is :smiley:

how did u made the sun ? Which physics for the Kite ?

In some cases the sun was just a skydome texture, in others I used the node based sun:

The kite physics is a dynamic object for the player and the kite is a rigid body with a rigid body constraint.
Then I made some simplified kite physics to calculate the lift and drag

1 Like