Klaus

Hey thoro,

Could I ask what are the material and strand settings for you hair at the moment. I’m doing some work with hair at the moment but it looks more like fur when I’m finished.

Also great work so far.

Grape Ape: Thank you! I made some screenshots to document my Material/Texture settings for the Hair Strands.

However, if you like to get away from the furry look I think it’s best to style the hair using Curve Guides. Set the starting speed of your Static Particles (called ‘Normal’) to a very low value, I set it to zero to completely control the hair with curves. You can use a Vertex Group to control the hair’s length - and use a Texture to control the force and get the curliness (you will details on page 2 of this thread).

Hope this helps, don’t hesitate to ask if there are further questions.

wow thats really good.

I think his hairline is to far back, try bringing it forward, just a sugestion.

Much improvement thoro. Really looking good now.

I still beleive that you need some more colour in the actual skin tones though. Still seems very one tonal to me. I know you are not going for ultra-realistic here, but some additional tones will help it to feel more alive.

BgDM

heh,i like it.good character work!!! i really like the balding hulkster look.
rixtr

Aidan: Thanks! The hairline is designed that way on purpose. You are right, it’s kind of eye catching but it’s characteristic for Klaus :D.

BgDM: Thank you very much, BgDM - this means a lot to me. Yes, I agree - I’m carefully adding more colour while trying not to overdo it.

rixtr66: Haha, thanks - ‘balding hulkster look’, never heard that before - cool :p.

Update: Added a bit more colour to the skin texture, wrinkles, patina etc. Added a forehead wrinkle to the mesh to be able to animate a frown. Redesigned parts of the hair (again…) because I was not satisfied with the way it looked from the sides and back. I think I’ll have to add a second hair layer to be completely pleased, will test that soon. Some minor changes on the mesh, for example the ears were too big. Next steps will be some hair tests like mentioned above and modelling clothes to keep me from getting lost in details…

[click image for hires version]
http://www.thoro.de/images/blender/klaus/klaus_015.jpg

Absolutely fabulous Thoro, I love everything, modeling, texturing, lightning, hair, beautiful eyes, he looks very real altough being cartoony.
I gave you 5 stars.

Can’t wait tou see him animated.

thoro, I hope you don’t mind, but I did a bit of a paint over on your image to show you what I mean about adding some more skin tones to the colour map:

http://bgdm.katorlegaz.com/klaus_015_full.jpg

As you can see, by just adding a few more tone layers to the map, it makes a big difference, while maintaining the not so realistic look of your character.

I also added a few darker layers around and under the eyes, as this area is typically a bit darker.

With the above, I would typically even push it more. I only added about 12 layers to the image, with very low opacity. I would typically have around 40+ additional layers in my maps.

Keep at it. It’s getting there.

BgDM

Serialsiner: Hey, thank you! It’s exactly the look I’m trying to get.

BgDM: Haha, creepy! Whistling the Aerosmith song ‘Dude (Looks Like A Lady)’ :smiley:

I know what you mean and I will add some layers to the base skin to make it look less uniform and darken the lips a bit. And the ears need some work, too. However, overall I’m going for a more subtle look. I really love the look of ‘Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within’ so I’m rather cautious with the skin tones:

http://www.thoro.de/images/misc/ff_neil.jpg
Neil Fleming (Final Fantasy-The Spirits Within)

Thank you very much for your contructive criticism, BgDM - it helps a lot. May I ask you to size your image down to let’s say 650px width? It’s huuuuuge.

Cheers

Thorsten

Ah, k.I see where you are going with it now. Nice work.

And sorry for the large image size. I resized it.

BgDM

Hi thoro,

Really nice. The hair is great! I started to play around with the particles but the hair goes whacky :smiley:

Could you post a screenshot how you arranged the curves. That’d be very much appreciated. Do you use Min/Maxdist, Falloff, Additive?

Stephan

looking good dude, still loveing the hair.

Like you said textures still need a little work, other than that, wicked.

It’s been a while - and I finally found some time to continue this WIP. I’m currently modelling a shirt and will soon post an update.

BGDM: No problem, your comments are always welcome.

Grape Ape: Haha, thank you, I’ll do my best.

schdeffan: Thanks - and yes, making hair often produces strange results :), especially when you start to experiment. I’m using nine curves with MaxDist setting to control the hair (no Additive, no Fall-off).

Here are two screenshots of the curves I’m using, I hope it helps:

is he related to Angelina jolie? bgdm, I like him with lipstick too…

NodeRanger: Who knows? Haha, yeah - BgDM’s ‘Pimp my Klaus’ is cool… :smiley:

Started with the shirt… no buttonholes or details at this early stage.

http://www.thoro.de/images/blender/klaus/klaus_016.jpg

Hey man, good to see you coming back to this, yer I agree you should keep the recceding hairline, it defineatly adds charicter

Yep, I’ll keep the hairline :).

Update: added some details and a painted (very dark) background.

http://www.thoro.de/images/blender/klaus/klaus_017.jpg

first of all, compliments for this great piece of work…
can i ask you where did you get the ui theme ? id like to
adopt it as my default one, cause i find it very clean

thanx

gasdia73: Thank you very much - the theme is my modified version of Blender’s ‘Rounded’ Theme. Just uploaded it to my website, you can >download it here.

thanx alot man, im sure now ill be able to reach your modeling skills hehe jk

keep up the great job!