I wanted to try and recreate a knit wool mesh and material for cycles. This is how I came up with this one, which besides one glaring error is pretty solid I think.
- Model one stitch with a mirror modifier. Unwrap it, active quads for perfect unwrap. Use normal map for fine helical shading.
- Array on x, 1, merge
- Array on z ~1.3
- Curve modifier on bezier circle
- Apply everything
- Shape key, use proportional edit radius huge, random. I couldn’t get a good displacement working, so this was my workaround.
- Proportional edit to shape it, I could have used a lattice but didn’t.
- Material with transparentcy on fresnal, and hair intercept on hair system.