Koi Tattoo

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LRzL2K
3D interpretation + expansion of a concept by Anna Podedworna.
More renders/ turntables are on the Artstation page.

Character sculpting practice and decided to turn it into a full project.
Model, sculpt and render in Blender. Koi texture hand traced and painted in Painter based on concept and google image. Cloth tiling micro detail from Megascan. Hair procedurally made using curve with a stretched out noise texture, as always hair took the longest to do.

Someone reached out to me specifically regarding the hair,- one trick/ experiment that made it looks better in my opinion was adding the tiny flyaway hair strands and add an emissive material to it, which makes it always have ‘highlight’ no matter how the light conditions were and also help breakup the underlying hair shapes. It’s realistically inaccurate, but hey if it works it works :joy: Thought I’d share it here as well, let me know if anyone has questions~

And thanks for all the likes :white_heart:

55 Likes

Impressive work!

4 Likes

Hey thanks! much appreciated!

Made a compressed gif for the turntables, higer quality video loop is on the AS page~
post 01 COLOR
post 02 BW

14 Likes

Great work.

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

I like how you named it! I wouldn’t have noticed the tattoo otherwise :sweat_smile:.
Did you design it?

@bartv Hey awesome, thanks so much! :white_heart:

@Alex_Handjiev Haha no, it’s the design based on Anna Podedworna’s concept.

1 Like

AH! AKREON! IT ALL MAKES SENCE NOW!! Damn, I got excited :smiley: Well, you did a great job at adapting it!!

1 Like

This is what happens when you use lipstick with radium.