Krita 5.0 Released!

After many years of hard work, we’re excited to present to you Krita 5.0!

This release has a ton of new features, here’s a short list:

• The way Krita handles things like brushes, gradients and palettes, as well as tagging, has been completely revamped. The new system is much faster, uses much less memory and is much more dependable!
  • Gradients have been improved: they are far smoother and can handle wider gamuts.
  • The smudge brush engine has been completely rewritten, and we’ve got a new brush engine, based on MyPaint
  • The Animation system has been overhauled, with both user interface improvements and new features, such as clone frames and animated transform masks
  • Krita now has a built-in storyboard editor!
  • There’s a recorder to create a video out of your painting sessions
  • And way, way, more.

We hope you enjoy this release!

33 Likes

Is there any plans to make a real portable version of krita?

I actually wanna switch from Photoshop to Krita since 4.x but without a real portable version it’s to cumbersome to maintain it.

If you are talking about wanting the resources and such on a usb as well, we did enable configuring the location of the resource folder and the resource cache as part of the massive refactor(it’s in the settings). I don’t remember whether you can also do this with the config file itself…

I just want everything in one location like in blender. I just create a folder in the blender location and call it config and everything is stored there instead in the appdata location.

But i will see if 5.0 resolved most of the problems. The Smudge Brushes seems to be pretty promising as well.

Yaaay ! Congrats and thanks for your hard work.

1 Like

Congrats guys. Krita is awesome!!

Any plans for adding cloning multiple layers at the same time with the clone brush?

@Therahedwig Does Krita have a tiled painting mode? I am aware of the warp mode, and symmetry features but is tiled painting possible?

5 Likes

Thanks for the examples.

I am aware of those. I meant the tiled painting mode, where your brush paints in tiles, there is an advantage of using this method as you can set the size of the tile as you paint.

Very useful for painting Atlas and Trim textures of different sizes in one texture. Krita has all this except for that tiled painting mode which is very useful. You can also go in easily and make changes to the tiled painted layer if you need to for the different atlas and trim textures you have on that one texture sheet.