Lake Among the Dunes

The hidden Oasis in the desert area ! :smiley: @Toastygrim

Nice artwork and Render, I have only one complain about the palms and trees density, you must take into consideration the desertic soil which is poor in nutriment and the general climate, even near an Oasis.

1 Like

@IMRB Although the high tree density - along with the sharp edge of the vegetated area - may indeed be somewhat excessive for it to be realistic I disagree with the “poor in nutriment” argument. :slight_smile:

Mostly those are not very arid, you won’t find dunes seas on those northen regions of the middle east.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/desert-soils

Fundamentally desertic soil is poor in nutrients, tho near an Oasis shore it become more fertile but your trees distribution doesn’t reflect that, at least in my country (Algeria) I never saw such things.

But great work nonetheless :).

1 Like

@Toastygrim
Thanks a lot! I’ve never played that game though :sweat_smile:

@bartv
Thank you, Bart!

@IMRB @IMRB
Thank you, guys! I’m really happy you like it.

I’ve never been to a desert so it’s a bit of a guessing game of what looks good and what doesn’t.
I might have made a more gradual transition between the desert and the greenery but I thought the current version looks okay as water collected beneath the sand only reaches a certain point beyond which nothing can grow anymore. Though I guess it changes with time which might result in a gradual transition.

2 Likes

This is AMAZING!

really curious to how you did the landscape, Micro displacements? Sculpting?

also the water shader, like that cant be just glass with a normal map on it?

1 Like

Stunning lighting and mood! Your material look spot on!!!

1 Like

Fantastic work and the atmosphere is perfect and you master texturing!

1 Like

Very nice HDRI where’d you get it? All the ones i can find have clouds or buildings etc etc… or did you hide it?

1 Like

Great work, congrats.

1 Like

Uiii, nice.
Is there a way to download the blend file or to buy it?

1 Like

@Oby1
Thank you so much! It was microdisplacement with procedural noise but I baked the map and used it as via displacement node to have better control over particle systems.

@rombout @polynut @anon18318387
Thank you very much, guys!

@Tim_Thom
Thanks! It’s from Poliigon and HDRI Haven. I used one as lighting and the other as a skybox. I rotated it though to hide all the trees etc.

@Nightblood22
Thank you! Unfortunately not at this moment.

1 Like

oh, :frowning:
i bet this one is also not possible ?
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VdkdqX

btw it’s so frkn incredible… :smiley:

1 Like

Not really, sorry mate. It contains some paid models and sharing them would violate the licence.

You were featured in the ‘Best of Blender Artists 2019’ on BlenderNation, and received the ‘Best of 2019’ badge on Blender Artists :clap:

Thank you so much for your contribution, and have a great 2020!

1 Like

I’m honored, thank you so much, Bart! Have a great year as well!

1 Like