Lamp Textures - 2.66

I am trying to learn about lamp textures and find them discussed in the manual. However, I can’t find any of the panels they show on the right side of the manual page. Can anyone give me a clue about a) which light to start with (spot?) and b) where the texture controls are? There ought to be a place to load an image for a projector light, but I can’t find it.

The manual page is at http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Lighting/Lights/Textures

Thanks for any clues.

Attachments

Select your lamp and then go to the textures panel

Thanks, Richard. That is the problem, then. That checkerboard textures icon is not appearing where it should. Here’s a screen shot with a point source lamp selected.

Attachments

The problem is that you’re in Cycles Render mode and the panel is not available for Cycles.
Materials and textures works completely differently (node based) in comparison to the Blender Render mode.

So if you want to access that lamp texture panel, you need to go into Blender Render mode, or try to find how to reproduce what you want to do with the Cycles nodes regarding the light (can’t help on that specific point)

Hi there, textured lamps aren’t supported by Cycles yet. There are workarounds using nodes. I tested one, that I described here. Perhaps this could be of some help. But I haven’t tested this with animations.

Thank you Sanctuary - when I used nodes, I was able to get either a Spot or Point lamp to project. However, there was some serious distortion, like a bad lens (see image below) and the image was tiled several times.

Thank you, minoribus - your setup has a node called RemoveDistortion (see image below), which seems promising. But I don’t find such a node. Can you tell me where that comes from? I note that it has a little node icon on it.

Attachments

Hello John Howard, this is a node group with lots of math inside. As I said, I found this at a site called blendpolis, which is a German Blender User forum. Here is a link to the original sample file, which was shared there (here is also a link to the thread of the creator, named tobain, just to give credits although it’s written in German.)

Thanks minoribus. I have the .blend file and have opened that node group and …

Clearly, I have some studying to do, but now I can see all the pieces. Thanks again.