Lara Croft

yes the are if i told you i would have to kill you…lets just agree to disagree than I just happen to think that if you move the eyes of a woman’s face to more than three eyes widths apart she starts to look odd and unappealing even if it is a caricature and especially if it is a caricature of a character with sex appeal. the one eye width thing is a rough guideline and you can safely go 11/2 eyes but when you make it 3 it looks odd and the character losses some appeal.

It doesn’t look like Lora Croft, but she does look very good, you should re-name her after some greek goddess :slight_smile:

no, no rules in art, just opinions…as is yours above

I agree with pokestuff, no one should tell you how to do art, because art comes from your mind and imagination.

^believe me, I already tried that. It didn’t really give off a quirky vibe as much as the wide set eyes. Plus due to how streamlined her head is, it created some artifacts. So I ultimately decided to go with the wide set eyes.

Also, regarding your other post: like I said I WASN’T going for sexy. Not to sound like someone who can’t take critique but it’s the truth. If it was, I would have shown more than just her head. I also disagree with your points. There isn’t an ideal beauty. Some people might find wide set eyes very attractive while others might not, it’s all really just subjective to ones culture but mostly their personal preference.

Whilst I believe there are rules in areas of art - and very rigorous ones too in certain disciplines - I think what shakquan has done here is formulate his own rules and aesthetics and I believe he has pulled it off - the model doesn’t abide to any form of anatomy and is a comic style unto itself.
I like the rendering too, escpecially the sheen on the lips although I think the dust scratches are slightly over done

Thanks for the reply! I was afraid they were. I’ll try to tone it down next time. :slight_smile:

I love the wide set eyes! Normally it looks bad but you have done wonders with the model! Where’s the rest?

“Not so much rules, as guidelines, y’see.” --Some character in Pirates of the Caribbean, probably misquoted.

shakquan said he was going for “quirky” and he certainly has done that well. Its interesting that tyrant monkey’s variation looks to me a bit horse-faced, eyes set too narrowly, because of the other exaggerations in the facial structure. If you want to talk about rules/guidelines, one of the classical proportional rules for a woman’s face is that the eyes and the mouth form an equilateral triangle, which shakquan’s model does, helping preserve a lot of feminine appeal imo, even with the other overstatements for the caricature.

You can carry the “rules” idea to such lengths that all caricatures are disallowed, but that just limits the playing field way too much. One artist’s approach may not appeal to another, but that doesn’t make it “wrong” by any measure.

When you play with eye distance (also slant) it has a tendency to make the perceived character appear more intelligent (aka nerdy) or, more often in fact, less so. It works because human nature has a built-in reaction against anything which is different from our own version of the accepted “norm”. Psychologically, it’s one of the factors which feeds racism as we are quick to generalise about “different looking” people, historically categorising anyone “different” as animals. It’s wrong (morally) of course and those who meet with multiple cultures soon learn their way out of it.

…but the effect when put into a character still remains. It’s the instinct of initial perception.

It’s a very nice idea.

I don’t agree with something somebody said. “no, no rules in art, just opinions…as is yours above”.

There’re opinions about “what” is art or not. But there’re “rules” also. Rules are not to tell you what is art or not. Rules are there to help you in the creation of “believable” things. I said believable not realistic. If you understand the rules you can use or break them.

Said that a contructive critique and comment (Always to help and improve the character):

It’s a nice cartoon character. It’s art of course. Everything that gives you a message is art. In my opinion (only my opinion) the character lacks the “construction” that makes her “believable” as human. Her face looks more like a fish. I don’t know if that was the author’s idea but it’s what this character shows to me. You don’t need to be super exact with anatomy. What helps to make believable characters is to respect the structure under your character.

I hope you find useful this example:

The 2nd video is about a female character.

I learned this and a lot of amazing things from another cartoon artist and teacher “Stephen Silver”. If you’ve the posibility to attend to one of his courses you will love it.

^ Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep your critiques in mind for my next piece. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about what I said it wasn’t a bad critique. You had a good idea and you pushed very well a lot of parts in your design. Maybe you know this amazing artist, Michael Defeo. He has lot of nice cartoon girl videos.

[video]https://vimeo.com/29453779[/video]

[video]https://vimeo.com/26297664[/video]

[video]https://vimeo.com/25033707[/video]

Also if you’ve a good concept design as reference before start modeling it will help you a lot.
Look here the comparison another cartoon girl concept design and her 3d digital sculptures:

http://michaeldefeo.com/character-development/26.html

I hope to see more works like you and less realistic characters in 3D son 5* from me :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Luis

Sorry you are wrong, the “creation of believable things” is not “art” itself only something that could be part of what can be considered art.
You can use rules to reach a certain or defined purpose, but as a discipline in itself art has no rules.

Ridiculous. When did rules suddenly appear for characterization??!?

Wonderful work, Shakquan. Looking forward to more!!

Hi pokestuff,

I didn’t talk about what is or not art.

What I mean is that in a human character there’re points of the anatomy that make you recognize better a shape as human. And it’s true. We’re used to see people’s face every day. Put a nose in the back of the head and everybody is going to feel there’s something odd very quick :slight_smile: Knowing the anatomy under your character you can push it in a believable way for the viewer.