Late night discussion - Feedback welcome

Hey there, i’ve been working on and off on this for a bit now. Guess it’s a bit edgy but I wanted to try a more monochrome non-photorealistic style. I do kinda like the result but i feel like there’s something lacking. (Marking as nsfw because blood)

Full scene and a bit of the main model:

The title caught my attention, but it wasn’t what I expected. I was expecting something like a back room/seedy bar/back ally violent scene sort of thing.

So here’s what I see, a knife in a table. I see both sides of the blade, I only see one side of the hilt and one side of the handle. The moon has a glow around it, but that glow seems to rise from the moon, it extends to the top of the image.

Something weird about the window, but I can’t figure it out… It doesn’t look like a window, it looks like 3 vertical lines. Not sure how you got that look from the viewport view you posted. I would think 2 vertical lines, and 1 or 2 horizontal lines, with depth would sell it as a window.

I like the style, my first thought was of the KMFDM Hau Ruck album art.

Just my thoughts…
Randy

2 Likes

Hey Randy, thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.

For the title, yeah i kind of agree that such a scene would fit it better now that i think about it. I would definitely love to try something like that in the future.

About the moon glow, it seems to be a rendering thing. I didn’t notice it at first but it seems to only happen on the rendered image, rendered view and the compositor don’t have that issue. Moving the camera so the glow is a bit further from the edge of the image helps, but I’ll try to look for an actual solution.

As for the window, i wanted to avoid giving stuff in this scene a fixed color, relying mostly on the lighting. But the window doesn’t really play nice with that. I’ll try to make at least that part a bit more deliberate, i tried adding a pure white emission to one of the beams and yeah, it does look a bit nicer.

I’m really grateful for the feedback, once i have more time, i’ll try to see if i can make a improved version. (And i should thank you for the recommendation as well, that album is great)