Lattice Problem/Question

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a curved front cabinet, modeled using a Lattice. Please see the attached pic. The cabinet is comprised of 5 objects, base, 2 drawers and 2 doors. Each of the objects uses the same lattice for the deformation, and each object has a vertex group used by the lattice. Everything works fine until I either export obj using “Apply Modifiers”, or Alt-C, convert, keep original. In either case, the new object looks as if it has the modifier applied to every vertex, or in other words, the entire object. Is this a bug, or is this working as designed?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

OK,

I’m answering my own post since I wasn’t smart enough to search first. In the modifier panel, you have to hit “Apply” to permanently apply the deformation, and remove the modifier from the stack.

However, I think it should also work using Alt-C, and or exporting to obj. I would think that an appropriate workflow would be something like:

1. Create basic shapes
  2. Apply Modifiers
  3. Alt-C Keep Original
  4. If model needs tweaking, modify lattice and re-Alt-C keep original
  5. UV map final version

Instead, it will have to be something like:

1. Create basic shapes
  2. Apply Modifiers
  3. Copy objects EDIT > STOP, This wont work either as a copied (shift-D) or (Alt-D) has the same effect as Alt-C. So this flow wont work either.
  4. Apply and remove modifiers
  5. If model needs tweaking, repeat steps 3 and 4
  6. UV Map final version

What do you think?

Hi,
This was a bug due to the Lattice modifier not copying the vertex group name correctly (several other modifiers had the same issue). I have committed a fix to CVS, so it should work properly now.

Artificer

artificer,

Thanks!! I will download and install the first chance I get.