Layer Painter - Material Editing With Layers - RELEASED

The awesome Lily Surface Scrapper addon now is supported by BATS. This means you can now enter a URL and import textures in a layer with just a few clicks!
You can check the addon out here:

8 Likes

And yet another useful addon is integrated into BATS:
The soon to be released Data Management addon by Grant Wilk (Remington Graphics). You will have a small white indicator in the layer operator panel, which will turn red when the addon detects unused images. Then you can press that icon to open a panel with which you can then clean the images from your file.
(By the way, there is an option for all of the integrated addons to turn there UI elements of if you donā€™t want to use them)

3 Likes

The BATS mode tab is not visible for me. How can I enable/make it visible again?

Or should I just re-install BATS?

What mode tab do you mean?

Sorry, I meant the workspace.

Try pressing import assets under tools in the bats panel

I canā€™t really add any more features at the moment (still because of the bug), so I will make some plans for tutorials now.

I had the thought that it might be better to have a organized website with a detailed explanation and pictures to all features instead of making videos about them.
The benefit of that would be that itā€™s easy to keep up to date instead of videos which I would have to remake every time something gets updated.
I would still do videos but only for more general things like the workflow and that kind of things.
What do you think of that and what would you like to see for tutorials?

A simple, quickly readable document or site is always a good companion I would say. Videos make sense for, like you already said, basic workflow or just to show what the tool can do.

The greatest potential for failure is when new users donā€™t understand a tool - you are on a really good way Iā€™d say tho. :slight_smile:

Those node based masks are going to give it a huge push forward, especially thinking how many new features and polishes of existing ones are coming though the GSoC project.

As for websites, machin3 and masterxeon1001 have really well done documentation for their plugins, like here: https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/

Anyways, BATS is looking awesome so far.

1 Like

Itā€™s really interesting to see for me, because this is the first time Iā€™m doing a add-on this big, and it was I think my biggest mistake not to do enough docs and videos.
Thatā€™s why Iā€™m trying to do that better for this release as that should allow a lot of people to be able to use the add-on better.
Thanks for the feedback!

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice! :grinning: Docs and videos.

1 Like

BATS is currently 25% off on blendermarket! Get it now while itā€™s the cheapest itā€™ll ever be!

Iā€™m currently working on some exciting new features because I canā€™t finish texture painting due to a bug!

2 Likes

I got a request for adding folders, so I started working on that. The basics are working, but thereā€™s a lot more things to add for them. Depending on how long the bug fix in the active tool api takes the blender devs, Iā€™ll finish them for the big update!

11 Likes

HI,

Iā€™m getting this error just by importing an object and trying to bake AO:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œC:\Users\Juan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\bats_addon_files\operators.pyā€, line 2419, in execute
bpy.context.scene.view_settings.view_transform = ā€œDefaultā€
TypeError: bpy_struct: item.attr = val: enum ā€œDefaultā€ not found in (ā€˜Standardā€™, ā€˜Filmicā€™, ā€˜Filmic Logā€™, ā€˜Rawā€™, ā€˜False Colorā€™)

Iā€™m on 2.8 with the build from the 22 of may and BATS 1.0.3

I looks like the problem could be solved by:

• Go to line 2419 in operators.py
  • Change ā€œDefaultā€ into: ā€œStandardā€
1 Like

Yes that should fix the issue. Iā€™ll try to get a fix out later.

Updates out now on blendermarket and gumroad, this should fix the issue!

2 Likes

Another update is out now, fixing some more API changes!

2 Likes

Let me just leave this here for now :wink:

6 Likes

After quite a few requests, I have now added Emission and Alpha channels. These are optional channels, meaning you can enable them when you add the first layer to a material.

I would love to publish the update as soon as possible, because it has sooo much awesome stuff, but Iā€™m still stuck with this bug: https://developer.blender.org/T63892
If you want to you could poke the devs, so they get on this as soon as possible :wink: (But not too much, they are doing a great job and have a lot of other things to do!)

Just to give you another overview of whatā€™s coming, you can check out the unfinished new documentation here: http://bats.bplaced.net
Iā€™ll still have to do some work on it and there are a few of the newer features still missing, but it should be a lot better then the old documentation!
Let me know what you think of the coming features!

8 Likes

You should add an example script(as simple as possible) to that bug. If you do, Iā€™d verify it. Getting people to verify bugs with clear reproduction steps seems to get the devs moving the quickest.