Lazy Bones - simulation 'auto' rigging and edges to bones

I was trying to rig a ladder like structure on some character clothing - it was not fun.

So I made an addon that converts selected edges into bones.

This grew and grew to include @Higgsas straight skeleton node group, and a whole slew of armature cleaning functions. A portion of the sales will go to Higgs for their unending inspiration.

I hope you like it!

Trailer:

Quick Guide:

Blue Nile

8 Likes

Thisā€¦ could be interestingā€¦
ā€¦rigging and animationā€¦ one of my weaknessesā€¦
I know a lot about itā€¦ but always fail somewhere :sweat_smile: and i always postpone it in favour of other things (not always 3D related) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Heya - I watched the vid, but wanted to confirm - does the mesh to bone function work with any (appropriate) mesh with multiple chains, not just those created by the ā€œauto bone skeleton shrink physics generatorā€?

1 Like

Yep. it was actually the original main function of the addon ~ the simulation part came last.

All selected edge of the current active mesh will be converted to bones.

By default, junctions of 3 or more edges are deleted which helps to separate the edges/chains.

Each separate chain becomes a separate armature ~by default, can be joined if enabled ~ because it makes clean up easier and the ā€˜Bone Doctorā€™ tools work from Object mode on all bones in selected armatures (except the Bone Target Individual ~ used at the end of the dragon rigging vid on youtube)

1 Like

Quick test - hair splines, converted to bones. Tres cool. :slight_smile:

Also, the Reverse Chain direction button - nice QOL touch.

1 Like

Oh dude thats awesome! :love_you_gesture: Iā€™ve just been working on a hair tutorial/example.

Sometimes with overlapping strands the scalp can turn into one noodle mess, so its sometimes useful to split the hair into two or three non overlapping groups of strands.

If you ever have the time/feel inclined it would be amazing if you could leave a review :smile:

1 Like